Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.211.87
acapde

Port forwarding to access surveillance camera system

Hi,

I have a Mofi 4500-4GXeLTE-SIM4 V2 4G/LTE Router (this is a router combined with the cellular radio) connected to Verizon (ISP).

First question I hope it's an easy one, can I configure AirVPN on the Mofi router itself, so any device connected will always use VPN?

Second question is about port forwarding. To this router I'm planning to connect a surveillance camera system that it's a dedicated appliance (not an actual computer from what I can see) and I need to be able to access from outside. I need to open ports 80, 5445 and 5446. Reading some information it seems that AirVPN cannot do port forwarding below port 2048, is there any workaround so I can see port 80 from outside? 

Third question is about the static public IP address, I assume I don't get a static address from AirVPN, so I guess I have to use a Dynamic DNS to gain access to the camera system, right?

Your help is much appreciated.

I need to open ports 80, 5445 and 5446. Reading some information it seems that AirVPN cannot do port forwarding below port 2048, is there any workaround so I can see port 80 from outside?

There is, but I doubt it will work the way you intend. Forward these ports to three other ports but specify them as internal ports. What I mean is, for example, forwarding external port 6000 to internal 80, 6001 to 5445 and 6002 to 5446. You can do this on the port forwarding page. After that you can connect to your-ip:6000 and the server will see it as a connection to port 80.

1. At the bottom of the page, under "Suggest a range of sequential free ports", enter 3 and click Search. You are given a message telling you a range of three ports you can use.
  2. Forward the first port to local port 80, the second to 5445 and the third to 5446.
  3. Try to connect to your-ip:6000 and view your video stream. I doubt it will work since it would try to connect to ports 5445/5446 for this. If I'm not mistaken, these are (fixed?) ports of some Cisco video service which sounds like IP camera stuff.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thank you giganerd for your prompt reply. Unfortunately the mobile application to view the cameras has the 3 ports hardcoded, I don't find a way to change that. I assume that 5445 and 5446 are ok since both are above 2048, I wonder how the application will react without port 80, I never tried that but I will give it a shot.

Let's assume that the port numbers is not an issue, would the rest work? I mean, can I enable AirVPN directly on the Mofi router (no computer at all)?

Thanks again.

You cannot do this with your current closed firmware router, your shortest route to achieve what you are looking for is

either a router which supports OpenVPN (OpenWRT/DD-WRT/AsusWRT/Tomato) with a 4G USB stick, or using your

current router in a bridge mode where it functions only as your 4G client (if it is supported).

It does seem to have some OpenVPN server but I couldn't find any client capabilities by quickly looking on it's documentation.

The port forwarding question is irrelevant in your case since your router doesn't support OpenVPN client mode.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.