Not connected, Your IP: 3.14.142.115
Sevenz

ANSWERED Setting up owncloud [accessed via internet] with airvpn

Hi guys,

Can anyone kindly guide me or show me links where I can read up more how to setup owncloud outside internet? Pardon if my English sucks.

My problem is that my ISP doesn't give me a public IP and I cannot port forward ownCloud. I`m stuck at authentication required by apache2, tried to google but made me even more confused.

Anyway this is what I did.

Setting ownCloud

I setup owncloud following this guide howtoforge up until before "Access ownCloud with SSL (https)"

So I go to my debian server's IP Address 192.168.2.140/owncloud and I can enter ownCloud.

So I noticed that ownCloud runs on port 80, which AirVPN states it is not accessible via AirVPN, so I changed the port of apache2 to something I can use in AirVPN, say port 10000 (for privacy).

Changing default port

As mentioned in ownCloud forum, since I use apache2 it redirects me to stackoverflow.

So I followed the method given by sarul and edited /etc/apache2/ports.conf

Listen 10000

and /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf

<VirtualHost *:10000>

and restart apache2.

I visit 192.168.2.140:10000 and I was greeted with apache2 debian default page.

However, I am unable to open owncloud from 192.168.2.140/owncloud. I could when I type the port 192.168.2.140:10000/owncloud.

(This part I`m not sure how to edit it so I can use 192.168.2.140/owncloud back, if anyone can help on this part that's awesome, else I will live with it)

So up until this part, I am still able to access locally.

setting it out for outside access

On AirVPN I portfordwarded port 10000 local and, both TCP and UDP

On my router I portforward port 10000, I checked via getyoursignal and it said port is opened.

Whether it's 143.254.33.15:10000 or 143.254.33.15:10000/owncloud, I was greeted with this authentication required.

I googled this authentication but being not very skilled with apache2 and IT overall, I`m stuck on this part.

I tried typing my root password, my owncloud username password, every possible password I could think of but nothing works. I figured apache2 has its own password but I have no idea where to get it. 

That's it, really thank you for reading my long post, and I hope someone can help me on this. 

Sev

Change standard port from 80 to 81 - OwnCloud Forums

You're on the right way, but if you want to access your OC installation via IP/owncloud, port 80/443 must be forwarded because with no port specified browsers assume port 80 (or 443, in case of https). So it must be IP:port/owncloud.

However, you are doing too much work. Simply forwarding port 10000 to local port 80 or 443 in the port forwarder is enough to be able to access OwnCloud. Requests to external port 10000 will be directed to internal port 80/443 without reconfiguring Apache's configuration. That's of course if you use your server to connect to AirVPN, since you didn't provide this detail!

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

You didn't explain what is the exact issue, is it the ports or the HTTP authentication?

To fix your HTTP password issues, you may want to look at the "AuthType Basic" directive somewhere

under /etc/apache2/sites-available/.

You will then see a file which Apache authorizes against, you will have to set your own htpasswd there.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

@Giganerd

Yeah it seems I did too much work on porting. I returned everything on step changing default port to the original port. As you stated on AirVPN when I changed Port 10000 with local 443 (I tried HTTPS by changing it to SSL) and it works! I could access it from work. Now I can access it via 123.456.67.89:10000/owncloud.

And yes, my NAS constantly connects to AirVPN on boot. 

@zhang888

Ya I was lost at first too, but it seems I made mistake on the HTTP authentication issues.

It was stated I have to look for AuthType Basic too when I googled, but on my /etc/apache2/sites-availables/, there were 3 files.

000-default.conf, default-ssl.conf and owncloud.conf. None of those has any AuthType Basic in it.

In the end I changed to SSL mode and did as giganerd mentioned by changing the local port in AirVPN Port forward tool to 443 (port 10000 and local 443) and it works now.

Well as long as it is accessible now, probably I shouldnt change anything now?

Thank you both of you for your inputs!