Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.189.240
Sign in to follow this  
Kunuyana

Internet connection of non-browser while using network-lock

Hello

Following scenario:

1. I use the AirVPN windows software and activate network lock + connect to a server

2. I start a non-browser application like an online game and play online. (Age of Empire for example)

Is the traffic then routed trough the VPN? (Is disabling it for better ping necessary?)

And how can I check the traffic routes of other non-browser programmes?

Thanks a lot for the help =)

The network lock sets your firewall to block ALL traffic that is not through the VPN whether it be browser or a game it's still traffic which only can go through the VPN. No disabling it doesn't matter much quite a few here uses VPNs while gaming.

Thank you for your help =)

One more question:

If I use network lock and start certain applications like Dropbox a popup window appears "Windows firewall has blocked some features of this program"  (screenshot in attachment)

What exactly does pressing "Allow access" cause? Does this let the application use my regular internet connection/non-vpn?

Thanks again for the help =)

Thank you for your help =)

One more question:

If I use network lock and start certain applications like Dropbox a popup window appears "Windows firewall has blocked some features of this program"  (screenshot in attachment)

What exactly does pressing "Allow access" cause? Does this let the application use my regular internet connection/non-vpn?

Thanks again for the help =)

as zhang said, when it asks for access it is to route through ports, but due to the network lock the traffic is still isolated to the VPN. The basics of the network lock is that it sets the firewall to only allow traffic to and from the VPN servers

One more question:

This is related to listening and opening new ports, not for outgoing connections, which are still using your VPN tunnel.

Note that if the application actually needs to receive incoming connections over the VPN, the you will need to explicitly forward ports using the AirVPN web GUI. There is no point in clicking "Allow access" otherwise.

I don't use Dropbox. But I cannot see why it would need an incoming port opened in the firewall. I think many programs cause this firewall access prompt to be displayed needlessly. I find myself wondering if, before you started using AirVPN,  the Dropbox client went further and used UPnP to open a port in your router for forwarding (I assume you never did this yourself explicitly). If not, then it clearly does not need this access.

And how can I check the traffic routes of other non-browser programmes?

Microsoft provides "Process Explorer":

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

With it you can see all of the network connections a program is making. And whether it is listening on a port for incoming connections.

What exactly does pressing "Allow access" cause?

You can see the firewall rule(s) it will have added by going to "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall" in Windows Explorer, then clicking "Advanced settings" on the left side, then clicking "Inbound rules", then sorting on the "Program" column and then finding the program that you were running when the prompt came up.