Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.12.205
Sign in to follow this  
whiskey_76

Using Ubuntu Network Manager

I am still pretty new to using vpns in general and I was using eddie gui to connect but when I upgraded to ubuntu mate 16.04 the newer version i got an error when trying to install Eddie. I read the other threads and I know the developer is working on it. My question is this: I manually configured the ubuntu network manager to use an air vpn server and its working fine, will other programs besides the web browser, that use the internet only go through the vpn still? Eddie has a network lock function I always used and I just want to make sure essentially a similar thing is happening using the vpn through the network manager. Thanks.

I connect to AirVPN using NetworkManager on Arch Linux. When you're connected to the vpn all traffic should go through it.

There is one exception that I've found though. Your computer talks to DNS nameservers to turn the url you type, like 'airvpn.org', into an IP address. You can list the nameservers being used with:

$ sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf

On Arch (and probably Ubuntu) NetworkManager seems to have a bug where it adds the AirVPN DNS to resolv.conf but doesn't remove the previous entries (try the above command before and after connecting to AirVPN). The nameserver that gets chosen from resolv.conf is apparently random so there's a chance that DNS requests might not go to the AirVPN one. I'll let you know if I find a solution to this, or you can google it.

In the meantime you can set the DNS servers for your ethernet/wifi connections in NetworkManager to some from https://www.opennicproject.org/, which at least don't log your access. Edit the connections and under 'IPV4 settings' set the method to 'Automatic (DHCP) addresses only', then add a few IP addresses from OpenNIC in the box 'DNS Servers'.

You won't get the network lock with NetworkManager. If the VPN drops I think the traffic just switches back to your normal ethernet/wifi connection. One way to set it up yourself is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenVPN#Prevent_leaks_if_vpn_goes_down

I connect to AirVPN using NetworkManager on Arch Linux. When you're connected to the vpn all traffic should go through it.

There is one exception that I've found though. Your computer talks to DNS nameservers to turn the url you type, like 'airvpn.org', into an IP address. You can list the nameservers being used with:

$ sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf

On Arch (and probably Ubuntu) NetworkManager seems to have a bug where it adds the AirVPN DNS to resolv.conf but doesn't remove the previous entries (try the above command before and after connecting to AirVPN). The nameserver that gets chosen from resolv.conf is apparently random so there's a chance that DNS requests might not go to the AirVPN one. I'll let you know if I find a solution to this, or you can google it.

In the meantime you can set the DNS servers for your ethernet/wifi connections in NetworkManager to some from https://www.opennicproject.org/, which at least don't log your access. Edit the connections and under 'IPV4 settings' set the method to 'Automatic (DHCP) addresses only', then add a few IP addresses from OpenNIC in the box 'DNS Servers'.

You won't get the network lock with NetworkManager. If the VPN drops I think the traffic just switches back to your normal ethernet/wifi connection. One way to set it up yourself is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenVPN#Prevent_leaks_if_vpn_goes_down

Yeah i set it up all ready and on ipleak.net my ip and my dns are both the air vpn server so i have no leaks as rtc peer is off too. I was just making sure it would work similar with all traffic on the computer going through the vpn, and it does thanks for confirming. Thanks.

If you want a simple "no frills" positive to work solution until Eddie is edited for 16.04 then use UFW.

Extremely simple firewall rule to only allow tun0 in or out of the firewall.  Just connect as you have been and then enable ufw and your safe and sound!  Absolutely sure fire without exception.  Never gamble on an untested approach, especially if your threat model is high.

There are several threads floating around here but if you don't see them come back and ask and I/we can throw up the simple ruleset.

This is so solid that if you ever suffer a broken connection you will have to manually drop the ufw firewall to even reconnect to Air.  I live online and it happens less then once a month to me: Air is so reliable!!