Not connected, Your IP: 52.14.240.178
Sign in to follow this  
spookygoy

[Help] Linux Mint / keeping ICS with Network Lock turned on

Hi,

I currently have an old Laptop I am trying to use as an intermediary box between my main home network and my personal machines connected to a particular switch.

I want these machines to be connected to the VPN at all times, from startup to shutdown,  and to have protection from the network dropping, etc.   I honestly tried

using pfSense but I just could not wrap my head around it,  even the default install when connected to my modem directly and a single test machine,  could not even properly resolve DNS queries.

So I gave up and threw mint on the laptop and enabled ICS instead.   Works great,  test box connected to it has internet, etc.

Now the trouble comes when I want to use AirVPN.   I can't use Network lock and I don't know how to resolve the issue in terms of letting me get my local machines access again.  I've already verified AirVPN works over the ICS without the network lock on.   I've very minorly futzed with trying to add  "allowed IPs"  and such in advanced options, but either didn't do it in the right place / correctly etc.  Because it still blocks access.

Could anyone help with some troubleshooting steps,  where / how I need to change things?

Thanks

No insight?

I've tried using IP tables to  allow traffic through on 10.0.0.0/24   but that doesn't work while network lock is activated

(with it off I can allow or block traffic using iptables just fine)

exactly what IS network lock doing?

ICS is really just called forwarding. Forwarding traffic from one interface to another. I'm fairly sure ICS is just gimmicky windows term as I've never heard it used elsewhere. But don't quote me on that.

The network lock implements its own iptables rules while activated.

It does it by temporally replacing the current rules with its own rules that block all traffic other than vpn traffic.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with modifying its rules however here's some more info on it. https://airvpn.org/faq/software_lock/

You could search the forums or submit a support ticket, there's probably info around here on how to do it with the network lock.

I normally just write my own rules. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Well I call it ICS because even in Linux the option is essentially  "share this connection with other computers".

Anyway

I've read that page and don't see anything that stands out as something I haven't already seen,   or tried messing with.   It gives no indication that changing IPTables  rules  will or will not work while the lock is on,  it only says the client itself will not be aware of the changes (meaning they get wiped when the lock is turned off I assume).