Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.213.128
JohnDoe0

An hello and a few questions

Hello everyone! I am a privacy activist, I often help around Reddit informing people all around the world on how to keep themselves safe on the internet. I do it for free, I usually spend an hour or two just helping people out of generosity and I would consider myself fairly good with Linux (mostly Debian and CentOS). I really appreciate what AirVPN does, by offering such an awesome, transparent service with serious attention to their users' anonymity.

I just have a few questions. Let's say someone was to connect to one of AirVPN's servers and download a movie and AirVPN receives a copyright infringement notice. I do know that Italy (and I believe most European countries) do not recognize DMCA/Copyright. But couldn't they check who was connected to the "violating" server and bring up a list of which users were connected to said server at the time of the download. The copyright infringement notices often state the size of the file and AirVPN (in the Client Area on the site) shows the amount of traffic sent/received. Wouldn't this "give users' away" in a sense? Nonetheless, I know AirVPN doesn't recognize copyright trolls so I do understand we are safe! I was just curious on this particular question...

Well, there would have to be a log of such activity done by a specific IP connected to that server/download. Since AirVPN does not keep any logs that's where the process stops. If there is no log file, there is nothing to trace it to.

Hope this answers your question.

Any recommended VPN provider that would give away even a single user for a DMCA notice

pretty much sings it's own death warrant by doing this. The reason is - that user will make

this into the news, others will investigate, and then the provider will damage it's reputation

forever, there will be always bad history that will make people avoid them at all costs.

I'm sure this is not the reason Air won't do it - there are many other valid reasons why

not to cooperate with copyright actors. But this fact may help you with your doubts.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I feel it is also not a bad idea to mention that copyright trolls and indeed any company that claims it is doing anything to defend the rights of artists and the freedom of artistic expression is only in fact defending its own position of making money out of those very artists; artists of which that parasitic industry thrives on in the first place.

The whole copyright and rights holders rubbish needs a complete overhall so we get rid of the spongers as did Peter Grant, the Led Zeppelin mangager back in the early 70's.