Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.5.239
GoetzPhilippinen

Apple TV 3 doesn't play my movies/content when AirVPN is running

Hi guys,

after installing AirVPN on my Apple Mac I encountered that I cannot use my AppleTV like before.
My Apple TV is streaming over WiFi

AirVPN is active on my Mac - with network lock enabled !
I unchecked LAN/private in settings and added the IP of my AppleTV in the list
(But I can only add 1 IP - when I hit Enter the cursor does not jump into a new line)

But still on my TV screen I only see that AppleTV is "loading content of user" - but nothing happens. The movies/music and such is on my external HD.

When I quit AirVPN client i have no problems with AppleTV anymore.

What setting do I have to change to have my AppleTV having access to my Mac again ?

I get around this whole issue by using Plex. The sever application is running on an internal IP and port (read: local to my LAN) and the Plex client on the Apple TV sees it just fine. I'm not sure why your solution isn't effectively doing the same thing though. I've never had any issues contacting other devices on my local network with AirVPN.

Going to keep thinking about this one.

I cannot install Apps on ATV3 - and I dont mean content from the internet.

I cannot access my AppleTV 3 inside my LAN over Wifi

try to connect your ATV3 via LAN if it works then? Mine does in standard config on LAN with all airvpn servers with Swiss, German and US apple ID and country specific content is shown according to the country specific apple ID I log in but it doesn't matter which airvpn server is chosen. I have an ASUS RT68u router with WRT openVPN running directly connected to the ISPs box (swiss cablecom/UPC) so all traffic goes through the R68U and airVPN.

Had also problems with wireless to ATV3, with LAN all works fine and faster:-)

AirVPN is active on my Mac - with network lock enabled !

I unchecked LAN/private in settings and added the IP of my AppleTV in the list

Disable network lock, which cleared that local blackout over here. Of course, then you need alternative ways of interface-binding critical connections, which kind of beats AirVPN’s purpose altogether. Also, do leave ‘allow lan-private’ checked.

PS - sent them a support request, as my forum post of the day before yesterday asking to address the issue fails to appear (fingers crossed this reply fares better)