Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.204.208
Sign in to follow this  
host

DNS Problem

Only way that i am able to use AirVPN DNS is i need to edit /etc/resolv.conf manually.

I am using latest OpenVPN client (under Linux) with AirVPN .conf file so always when i boot my computer it will connect to VPN.

I tried AirVPN client, it works well and DNS changes but i want to use OpenVPN because i am used to it.

So what i want to do: I want to use OpenVPN client and i want to keep resolv.conf static so it wont change back to default.

Does not matter if DNS stays forever 10.4.0.1.

I tried:

Changing network manager (GUI) settings (Nothing happens, resolv.conf stays same)

sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf (Throws error)

Editing /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base (DNS will change only when disconnected from VPN)

Editing /etc/network/interfaces (Nothing happens, resolv.conf stays same)

Editing airvpn .conf file, up command seems not working?

Anything never been so fucking pain in the ass on Linux machines.

I hope you guys got some tips to prevent DNS changing, thank you in advance.

Sounds like you want to add --route-nopull as a client option to OpenVPN to prevent DNS updates.  That should leave resolv.conf alone.  If this box also has your WAN connection then you'll need to do something similar to prevent your WAN connection from modifying resolv.conf when it connects (via DHCP, PPPoE, or what have you).

Hi there,

i am also on a Linux machine and ran into the same problems with the DNS reverting  to its default state all the time.

I solved the problem by using DNSCrypt that you can get here:

https://github.com/simonclausen/dnscrypt-autoinstall

Just open a terminal and follow the instructions under "Installation Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint".

After having successfully installed DNSCrypt, your DNS is then permanently changed.

Should you consider using the AirVPN - Client "Eddie" again, you have to disable DNS Switching in the settings.

Hope this helped.

Regards

Fox Mulder and John Doggett