Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.253.2
Sign in to follow this  
QuarkZ

Client makes me lose access to my local domain

Hello,

I have a local domain with a bunch of serers running, a DC and a file server. Whenever I use the AirVPN client, after a while my domain becomes inaccessible. For example, I have setup a shared drive with DFS, this becomes immediately not accessible, sometimes it take a bit more time. Mapped drives also do the same. I lose access until i logoff/relog the VPN.

I installed OpenVPN GUI and tried with it. No issue. But lately, for some reason, OpenVPN alone has been very slow, whereas the client works really well (for browsing and all)

I don't use network lock. I tried to disable anything i could think of in the client, to no avail. There is something that the client does, that OpenVPN doesn't do by itself, and I dont know what.

I compared the routes, and it's not it. It seems it blocks access to my DC somehow, even though i can still ping it or remote into it. But my pc seems not being able to authenticate anymore.

I'd love to find a solution to this. Support closed my ticket without any meaningful answer, which is quite disappointing when you pay for a year...

If anyone has an idea as to where to look, I would gretaly appreciate it!

Looks like you are just losing local DNS resolving, you can simply override this option in any OpenVPN client including Eddie.

What happens when you ping your hosts after connecting to Air?

--route-nopull
When used with --client or --pull, accept options pushed by server EXCEPT for routes and
dhcp options like DNS servers.
When used on the client, this option effectively bars the server from adding routes to the
client's routing table, however note that this option still allows the server to set the
TCP/IP properties of the client's TUN/TAP interface.
[...]

P.S. Staff cannot answer each non-service related question in tickets, the amount of connection related/VPN issues

requests is probably huge as well, and this is a relatevily small provider. You cannot expect All-in-one networking support for 7$/month. This is why you have community forums for.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Pinging works, but yes, I think it's due to DNS. I overrode the DNS on my local card but then AIRVPN stops working saying the DNS was changed and won't connect anymore. I will try your solution. Thanks.

Ok, so I'm not sure how to go with this. If using route-nopull, I would have to specify my own routes? If i use it, then the tunnel is ignored.

Ideally, I would want my "local" adapter to use local DNS and the TAP adapter to use VPN one. So all traffic outside would use AirVPN's DNS and local would use local one. I'm not sure if i'm missing something on how this works. I can specify both DNS in the client, however this creates a leak, it seems.

I'm guessing another solution would be to override the DNS at router level? However, if I stop the VPN then the DNS quits working (unless I use some OpenNIC one, but it seems slower to me than using AirVPN's)

Any thoughts?

I have the same issue here. Any updates? I need a DNS to solve my local network addresses and everything else (read internet) should go through the VPN.