Not connected, Your IP: 18.189.180.76

Hello,

I recently bought a year subscription, and the first day I was getting between 2-3mb/s and loading webpages relatively fast.

The last 2 days, loading a single webpage, even small ones takes 20+ seconds, and I barely get above 30kb/s - and if I do, it never stays there for more than 1-2 seconds before dropping back down to 30 kb/s

Is there an issue with my connection - am I being throttled somehow?

Some info: Tried different servers with and without network lock.

Thanks in advance

What is your speed without VPN? the speed will be slower than your normal speed since it transfers encrypted files

#2 Thanks for replying:

Ookla speedtest:

56.98 Mbit Download

5.33 Mbit Upload

Speedtest.net speedtest:

56.93 Mbps Download

5.83 Mbps Upload

10ms Ping

Does this help?

My net is not the fastest, but even so, 20seconds to load websites and 30kb/s often is dramatically slow at best ! 

I'd like to state that, my very first day of purchase was beyond excellent - I was getting 2-3 Mb/s  in download speed, which is more than enough for my kind of use.

The two other devices connected to my user has not noticed issues with bandwidth as I have (none of us download/use it fulltime or often)

I see, well depending on where you are ISP could be throttling it. What operating system are you on and are you using the Eddie client?

Change your port from the default to UDP 2018 (no idea why but this gave me an extra 20Mb) - also increase socket send/receive buffer size to 512 KB.

Besides increasing buffer size, go to Preferences ---> Advanced ----> OVPN Directives and type this in the left column

sndbuf 524288 
rcvbuf 524288

Hit 'Save' and you'll be good to go

#5,#6 Thanks I will try these when I get home and report back with my findings

#4 I am using the Windows 7 client from the "Get AirVPN/Download" section - what is the Eddie Client and is this eligible/supported by the Windows platform? 

Thanks in advance

PS: Some updates on my issue - it does indeed seem to be a throttling issue - but a weird one at that:

At times I see the connection shooting up past 500kb/s or even up above 1500kb/s - although this lasts for no longer than a second or two, before it entirely "resets" or falls back down to 10-30 kb/s as if the net keeps "disconnecting" on and on. Although let me try the suggested methods when I get home to report back on the issue as this seem to be a configuration issue on my end.

If you're getting 56 Mb/s without the VPN it's very odd that you're only getting 2-3 Mb/s with it. You should only be seeing about a 10% reduction.

#5,#6 Thanks I will try these when I get home and report back with my findings

#4 I am using the Windows 7 client from the "Get AirVPN/Download" section - what is the Eddie Client and is this eligible/supported by the Windows platform? 

Thanks in advance

PS: Some updates on my issue - it does indeed seem to be a throttling issue - but a weird one at that:

At times I see the connection shooting up past 500kb/s or even up above 1500kb/s - although this lasts for no longer than a second or two, before it entirely "resets" or falls back down to 10-30 kb/s as if the net keeps "disconnecting" on and on. Although let me try the suggested methods when I get home to report back on the issue as this seem to be a configuration issue on my end.

That is quite interesting to me, I had this one problem after my ISP did something I can't remember what anymore, but after that when I tried to keep a steady connection to one of my servers it'd get cutoff after 10 seconds. It may me something of the sort? They are cutting it off somehow. Also the Eddie client is the AirVPN client they call it the Eddie client. I doubt it's buffer sizes but I did experiment exstensively around with this together with airvpn staff to get the best possible speed, and ever since I get only a 15% reduction or so when downloading. I can share my settings and you could possibly try but I doubt it has anything to do with it. Best thing I'd wanna suggest is try every server there is near you and not at the other end of the earth of course. And see the speed differences. However something occured to me, it may be that if you use ISP issued router/modem it can't handle the data that is being sent with the airvpn encryption settings. I had to get a custom router to accomodate my high speed upgrade and that was just without airvpn

Increasing the buffers works great!

But how do I set them when using the airvpn -cli ?