Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.166.7
inobody

Running all VM traffic through VPN?

Hey!

I got an AirVPN subscription 1 year yesterday but not used it yet until i know what to do.

My host system is osx and I run VirtualBox on my host system (osx). In my VM (guest) i installed Linux Mint Cinnamon.

My guest system (linux mint cinnamon) is configured in VirtualBox settings as NAT.

I want to use this VM just for torrenting and nothing else. How do i setup Linux Mint Cinnamon to route all traffic to just AirVPN client and when AirVPN fails block all traffic? (i not installed airvpn client on linux cinnamon yet).

With any help with above i can then do the same for another VM for browsing only via AirVPN.

Incase it helps I do run little snitch on my host system. I could flash my router with Tomato or AsusMerlin firmware and have everything connected to my router to route via AirVPN but dont want all my traffic on my host system (osx) and other devices running through VPN as it just concerns me, so would like to do what i mentioned above for now until i get more comfortable with it all. I´m not an expert so don´t want to complicate things, want to keep it simple as possible for now.

Thanks for any help, suggestions, desperate to get going with this. Cheers!

Any reason not to run the VPN on the guest OS itself?

Try any setup you want (Eddie client or native) from here: https://airvpn.org/linux/ And report if you have any issues. If you follow all the steps properly you shoud have everything working in a few minutes.

eyes878, on 30 Nov 2015 - 23:38, said: Any reason not to run the VPN on the guest OS itself?

do you mean host? (the guest is my VM) if so the reason is i'm just concerned. ie. let's pretend i got Eddie installed on OSX (host system) and I apply 'network lock' and connect to airvpn, what concerns me for example is let's say i visit a site that requires login or an app like apple app store that requires me to signin when purchasing etc, how do i know that when connected to AirVPN that the data being transferred is secure and cannot be intercepted or whatever by someone on airvpn servers etc? i know apple uses https for such communications but still concerened about it, another example checking my email, by doing so i'm kind of indetifiying myself to my email company my real identity on airvpn but also again how do i know my communications are not be intercepted/read etc by a third party. I think I am a bit slightly confused hence my confusion. ATM I have 2 VM's both run Linux Cinnamon, ones for torrents and other for browsing. The browsing VM is all setup with Eddie and works great, only being used for browsing and network lock is activated, the torrent VM I only installed and setup linux nothing else yet, on the torrent VM i want to ensure that my IP won't leak, whether it be Eddie crashes or some other problem that could cause my IP address to leak. What i would like to know how would i setup my torrent program to cut connection if im disconnected from VPN for whatever reason.

zhang888, on 01 Dec 2015 - 01:16, said: Try any setup you want (Eddie client or native) from here: https://airvpn.org/linux/ And report if you have any issues. If you follow all the steps properly you shoud have everything working in a few minutes.

I did on my browser VM all works great. Maybe someone can help with explaining it a bit more to me and help with the torrent VM. Thanks for your help.

Just install Eddie in whatever VM you install and enable network lock. The fact that it's a VM doesn't change anything in terms of configuration settings.

For torrents, if you use qBittorrent client, you can configure it to bind only on the tun0 interface which is your VPN. Then network lock is not necessary.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Just install Eddie in whatever VM you install and enable network lock. The fact that it's a VM doesn't change anything in terms of configuration settings.

For torrents, if you use qBittorrent client, you can configure it to bind only on the tun0 interface which is your VPN. Then network lock is not necessary.

I have done and tested it and all works ok.

I would like to play about with qBittorrent, i have qBittorrent installed on VM and am in the Options menu, could you provide instructions on how to bing only on the tun0 interface?

cheers

Advanced > Network Interface

Many thanks. I've change it to tun0 interface. I've setup port forwarding in my client area, set that up in qbittorrent.

Tested by downloading ubuntu and seems to have worked.

May i ask just one more question.

In 'Options' > Bittorrent >

It says -

Enable DHT (decentralised network) to find more peers (currently unchecked)

Enable Peer Exchange PeX to find more peers (currently unchecked)

Should i enable these? i did read about them but still not sure, could the reveal my real ip if enabled or anything? just wondering if they should be enabled and if they could reveal my real ip.

many thanks.

Advanced > Network Interface

Many thanks. I've change it to tun0 interface. I've setup port forwarding in my client area, set that up in qbittorrent.

Tested by downloading ubuntu and seems to have worked.

May i ask just one more question.

In 'Options' > Bittorrent >

It says -

Enable DHT (decentralised network) to find more peers (currently unchecked)

Enable Peer Exchange PeX to find more peers (currently unchecked)

Should i enable these? i did read about them but still not sure, could the reveal my real ip if enabled or anything? just wondering if they should be enabled and if they could reveal my real ip.

many thanks.

anyone?

cheers

If you bind the client only on your tun0 interface, then the answer is no.

Many thanks, just wanted extra confirmation, Cheers.

I meant the guest. If you ran the VPN inside the VM then it'd only affect the VM and nothing else.

I just stuck to one VM now with Linux Mint installed for both browsing and torrenting etc. I installed Eddie. Activated Network Lock, binded qbittorrent to tun0.

Although i'm happy with that I would really like to know still what must i do to block all traffic to/from VM if not connected to airvpn (not just qbittorrent)? as i get paranoid about it.

Maybe someone could help me? here are my VM network settings etc in images, hopefully this will help, as i'm eager to do it.

So far all i done is install gufw firewall as i'm a linux newbie so gui interface was better than terminal and changed dns to airvpn dns as fallback and disabled IPv6 as also seen in image(s).

Linu Mint Screenshots of my VM network setup/settings. Many thanks for any help