Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.11.30
Sign in to follow this  
quisp65

How many "connections per torrent" and "half open" do you do on AirVPN?

With many factors being dependent on user connection and other factors, you usually can't talk about this and get a best answer.   BUT.... while connected to AirVPN our "router" is the AirVPN server and we all share this and our speed somewhat.  So our opinions are a little more relevant to each other.  

While NOT using a VPN I would go with Utorrent's default "half open" of 500 and crank the "connections per torrent" up to 200 and I could really crank out some speed very fast.  But while on AirVPN I am sharing the server router with many users who are also pumping lots of connections and bandwidth at the same server/router.  Though I really don't know what is best....I put Utorrent at 100 connections per torrent and the Half Open at 10, and even though it takes a bit longer to start, each individual peer or seed tends to crank out a little more bandwidth, and I got less connections doing nothing..  Given the server is a bit more taxed than our routers at home... I wonder if playing more conservative produces better results?

Anyway since we are sharing the router(server)..... what do you set "connections per torrent" and "half open"?   I think those two configurations tend to be router & connection dependent and since we are sharing this our answers might have a more narrow range of what is best.   

I do not have much evidence for what I'm about to say, and it's just what I'm guessing, but, setting it as high as you normally would without AirVPN should be okay. The servers are very high spec and optimised for many VPN connections - AirVPN also pride themselves in not limiting you at all.

If you are receiving good speeds with a certain amount of connections, I would simply recommend using that amount, however high you think it is.

Most of AirVPN's servers have 1Gbit/s connection(s), so therefore you wouldn't be slowing any other users down or vise versa.

Well, it depends on how capable your router is. If it is a fairly cheap model, it cannot handle that much connections. I personally set a limit of 150 connections in general. Much more would be overkill and could be stressing your router's hardware.

Regards,

Fox

I've gone back to running it like I was without a VPN.  I was just rethinking my settings, but gone back to the way they were.  Thanks much...  

I personally use up to 500 connections per torrent and up to 2000 connections total. Works both with and without VPN.

You can set any reasonable amount of connections in any software.

Personally I was able to sometimes reach 1k established TCP sessions with Air with no issues.

There are probably, and I hope there are, some hard limits to prevent outgoing packet flood, DDoS and spam,

but you will hardly reach that limit with 1k connections peak.

Regarding the OpenVPN server side values:

The defaults on Linux is usually 65k, which can be tweaked by changing the netfilter/nf_conntrack_max values.

Most kernels adjust these values during boot, by calculating the availability of RAM as one of the considerations.

This means that even if all connected users peak out 1k connections at the same time, the server is quite capable

of handling this condition as well. However, this is almost never the case on any server, and since Air has lots of

servers, this is unlikely to happen in the future. More than that, I am sure Air tweaked it for a higher value, which

will use more RAM, but will also make this entire max connections table very scalable.

Another problem difficult to debug was when the kernel maximum number of memory pages allocated to the TCP was reached.

The maximum number of memory pages allocated to the TCP stack is different for each distro, and can be changed again using

sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_mem and net.ipv4.tcp_max* parameters.

TL;DR:

Use any values your client defaults to. If there are any issues, open a specific ticket with that issue and the software name.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.