Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.175.130
Abhut

Exclude certain ports from VPN

Hi,

Is it possible to exclude certain ports from going through VPN?

For example I want to have a FTP server running on the machine where the AirVPN Client software runs and want that one port to be reachable through the normal IP address so the traffic would not go through the VPN.

Is it possible to exclude certain ports from going through VPN?

OpenVPN does not provide such functionality. You can exclude IPs with the client, though.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

You can, for example, install a new virtual machine with an FTP server there.

Then forward all incoming connections to port 21 on your router, to the internal IP of that new virtual machine.

This makes things more secure in every aspect you look at, and is also cleaner in my opinion.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The Virtual Machine Idea sounds good, but the Computer I'm running this on is just a fan-less very weak PC. Do you by any chance know what the least resource intensive VM software is?

The modern virtualization software itself adds very little overhead. This will depend mostly on the OS and the setup you will have in your guest.

A safe bet would be VirtualBox + a *nix based OS with no X desktop. OpenBSD can run a fully capable SSH/FTP/HTTP/CIFS server on (less than) 96MB RAM.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.