Not connected, Your IP: 18.227.114.125
digitalnomad

"Recommended server" feature: need more info

I red https://airvpn.org/topic/11208-in-what-order-the-client-choose-recommended-servers/ but still need some info.

1. Is Eddie's "Recommended server" the same for ALL users? Does it depend on user real location too?

2. Does it change often?

3. I connect from Thailand. At this time Hong Kong server (Hadar) gives MUCH better internal speed test result than recommended (Netherland, Garnet), but on YouTube HD streaming Garnet is x4 faster than Hadar. Why?

4. I use VPN from iOS too, and there is no proprietary client. Is there a way to know the best server at that moment so to do the right choise in OpenVPN client?

I'm using a paid 3 days trial account, so I hope to get all these info as soon as possible to choise the best VPN for my needs.

I red https://airvpn.org/topic/11208-in-what-order-the-client-choose-recommended-servers/ but still need some info.

1. Is Eddie's "Recommended server" the same for ALL users? Does it depend on user real location too?

2. Does it change often?

3. I connect from Thailand. At this time Hong Kong server (Hadar) gives MUCH better internal speed test result than recommended (Netherland, Garnet), but on YouTube HD streaming Garnet is x4 faster than Hadar. Why?

4. I use VPN from iOS too, and there is no proprietary client. Is there a way to know the best server at that moment so to do the right choise in OpenVPN client?

I'm using a paid 3 days trial account, so I hope to get all these info as soon as possible to choise the best VPN for my needs.

1 Nope if you are using AirVPN client. It depends on your location. Hadar has better ping from Thailand than European ones

2 I haven't seen drastical changes from here.

3. That's true, HK VPN servers have worse peering than European, American ones. Low ping isn't always a synonym of faster server. It also depends of traffic load, number of users connected to the same server, etc.

4. You have the status tables at https://airvpn.org/status/ . There is one row for Asia.

1. In https://airvpn.org/topic/11208-in-what-order-the-client-choose-recommended-servers/ there is no location parameter mention:

"cores are computed on following parameters: average ping; average load; recent disconnections or failed retries; known issues; ISP reliabilty"

... So I can understand why it recommend me connect to EU servers even if I connect from Thailand. From my tests It's good.

2. Thank you for info.

3. OK, so on Windows I'll always trust AirVPN client recommendation (set as default on startup);

4. The problem is on iOS because there I cannot see any recommendation so I have to manually select on OpenVPN client. Asia row on airvpn.org/status/ is not a good starting point because if Windows client doesn't recommend asian servers I don't see any reason to use them from iOS. So how can I make a good daily choise on iOS?

1  Mind that "average ping" parameter is directly related to location. The closer you are the lower ping you will get from certain server.

4. I would say it's a "trial and error" thing. If I had a good experience from one server from Windows I would also choose it for iOS. Performance shouldn't differ from one client to other.

If I had a good experience from one server from Windows I would also choose it for iOS.

Mind also it isn't recommended to link two tunnels to the same server through the same router.