Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.61.16
victorab

Network Lock + Eset Smart Security

Hi,

I use Eset as an anti-virus and Firewall but I want to use the Network Lock also. The problem is that Eddie use Windows Firewall and Eset disable the Windows Firewall "This parameters are managed by the application provided by ESET Smart Security" (on the Windows Firewall settings) So the Network Lock doens't work.

How should I do to make the Network Lock effective?

Thanx

No it does not work. I've also claimed about this problem for a long while. But to defend AirVPN it's nearly impossible to make netlock for every firewalll available, so instead of using the network lock you could set up your firewall on your own.

If that's not possible you can create a batch file that runs on vpn exit and blocks the network.

Okay but how can I make Windows Firewall my Firewall instead of Eset? Because When I desactivate the Eset one, Windows Firewall is still disabled by Eset.

Hello victorab,

I assume since you are talking about ESET with a firewall, you are using ESET Smart Security. If you want to use Windows Firewall, you need to switch to ESET NOD32 (AV only). If you are using ESET Smart Security, your license for it will also work for ESET NOD32 (but not the other way around). ESET NOD32 does not have a firewall and allows you to run Windows Firewall along with it. That is why I assume you are running ESET Smart Security (not ESET NOD32) as it does have a firewall that manages those parameters.

It was a bit confusing since your original post and the thread title mentions both ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32...

HTH...

Hello victorab,

I assume since you are talking about ESET with a firewall, you are using ESET Smart Security. If you want to use Windows Firewall, you need to switch to ESET NOD32 (AV only). If you are using ESET Smart Security, your license for it will also work for ESET NOD32 (but not the other way around). ESET NOD32 does not have a firewall and allows you to run Windows Firewall along with it. That is why I assume you are running ESET Smart Security (not ESET NOD32) as it does have a firewall that manages those parameters.

It was a bit confusing since your original post and the thread title mentions both ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32...

HTH...

Indeed, puff-m-d is right. You need to install ESET NOD 32 (Antivirus) in order to be able to run Windows Firewall. I had this problem one year ago when the first Eddie client was launched, but I uninstalled Smart Security and chose only the Antivirus.

Hello victorab,

HTH...

Indeed, puff-m-d is right. You need to install ESET NOD 32 (Antivirus) in order to be able to run Windows Firewall. I had this problem one year ago when the first Eddie client was launched, but I uninstalled Smart Security and chose only the Antivirus.

Thank you for the help

What if I still want to keep ESET Smart Security (still want to use their firewall instead of Windows Firewall)? Is there a way to configure Network Lock to modify Smart Security's firewall to disable all non VPN traffic instead?

Hello,

Looks like ESET Smart Security's firewall supports IP based rules, you can allow outgoing connections from your LAN interface only to Air's

entry IPs.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2843

But you will have to go through a lot of rules if you want it to be done that way, I am not sure what their definition of Zones is.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hello,

Looks like ESET Smart Security's firewall supports IP based rules, you can allow outgoing connections from your LAN interface only to Air's

entry IPs.

But you will have to go through a lot of rules if you want it to be done that way, I am not sure what their definition of Zones is.

I just did this. It was easy because I just made zones, with "AirVPN (Insert Country Here)" as each zone, and I then made a rule to allow these zones and nothing else, working great for me!

Hello,

entry IPs.

I just did this. It was easy because I just made zones, with "AirVPN (Insert Country Here)" as each zone, and I then made a rule to allow these zones and nothing else, working great for me!

Could you posibly copy-paste an example of one of your 'Zones'?

i'm sorry but it sounds too complicated to me, i will not be able to fix it. (i use eset smart security as well)

Why anyone would ever want to use a crummy firewall like M$ one is beyond me.

And now the vpn does 2 things i don't want it to:

it blocks me sending mail (need to disconnect) and then it doesn't warn me as i need to turn it back on - potentially (very) unsafe.

i'm sorry but it sounds too complicated to me, i will not be able to fix it. (i use eset smart security as well)

Why anyone would ever want to use a crummy firewall like M$ one is beyond me.

And now the vpn does 2 things i don't want it to:

it blocks me sending mail (need to disconnect) and then it doesn't warn me as i need to turn it back on - potentially (very) unsafe.

The Windows Firewall is a good packet filter that is integrated into the OS and does what it is supposed

to do - filtering packets. All other 3d party solutions will do the same in the best case scenario, or in the

worst case scenario will break software, such as the AirVPN network lock - because they will hook the

network and manage it itself. This will also increase your attack surface to malicious attackers.

Google's project zero researchers find remote code execution exploits in many 3d party PC software firewalls

which have vulnerable drivers and services. So don't fall into marketing fluff, no solution will provide you

better overall network security than the stock Windows Firewall. By network security I mean TCP/IP rules,

not those "Parental control" bloatware that 3d party vendors push these days.

Here is a newly released critical heap overflow in ESET's engine:

https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/136082/ESET-NOD32-Heap-Overflow.html

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

thanks for the reply.

LOL - about that heap overflow issue, that really didn't concern me. (as i really don't know what that means...)

but one thing does: when i don't use the network lock function the IPv4 DNS preferences will stay as they are but when i do use it - it will change to 10.4.0.1

when i then disconnect it will not revert to the way it was and i have to go into my local area connections and fix it every time i want to send an email.

pag4x.jpg

317gksh.jpg

i'm afraid this is very inconvenient after having changed my eset security program for another and using windows firewall again.

it would be nice if the vpn could be changed to suit me, instead of the other way around.

cheers. 

Network lock is made for Windows Firewall only and it won't change anytime soon there is too much software and as zhang said it's not secure anyway. When you use network lock it will detect your previous settings and attempt to revert it after but it's only guaranteed to do so with Windows Firewall

As it is i have found a compromise (sort of) in not using the "network lock" function.

It's not perfect but it will do for now. 

Doesn't Eset support appliction based rules? I do that with GDATA Internet Security and it's firewall. I have different rule sets, one for ordinary internet access (without AirVPN) and one for AirVPN. If I want to use AirVPN I change the rule set for my network adapter and that rule set blocks any application from directly accessing the internet except AirVPN itself. For all other applications only local connections within my LAN are allowed. I've got another rule set for the AirVPN adapter which allows all necessary applications to access the internet through AirVPN's connection. I've run my system through IP leakage tests and so far I've not had a leak.

But normally I don't use AirVPN on Windows anyways. For web browsing I use a virtual machine with Linux where I can use AirVPN's netlock feature. That could also be a solution for you. This way you can keep the Eset firewall and also use AirVPN's netlock feature.

you guys could still ask eset support for a Downgrade from smart security to NOD32 antivirus.

or just use Qihoo 360 or some other av without Firewall.

or just use Windows defender wth pup enabled and ZAM or Malwarebytes as on demand . as alot of tests say WD keeps coming up