Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.40.207
quaranteetunecus

Installing own software on airvpn server?

Dear all,

I have just recently joined airvpn, so this might be a newbie problem.

I would like to build an email and sms notification service. Everytime some specific information changes (the airvpn server should check the internet once in a while...), this service should send me an email or an sms. I have some software in Ruby that does this ... using some Ruby dependencies like eventmachine.

How could I use an airvpn server to poll the internet for such events, installing Ruby , its package manager Rubygems, the gem eventmachine and my scripts to the airvpn server?

A link to a tutorial or youtube video woild very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help,

Axel

You can't do that.

AirVPN provides you with an OpenVPN tunnel account but no shell/server access of any kind.
You have many options to run a web service: dedicated server, VPS, shell account, webspace, cloud platform (OpenShift, AWS, Azure, ...) or simply a machine at home.
You can, if you're so inclined, configure your own server to use AirVPN. Port forwarding is available.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Thank you , sheivoko , for your answer. That way , I know I did not overlook anything. I think that the airvpn company should consider offering a server with shell access as an enlargement of their products, though.

Best regards,

Axel

Hi Axel.

Why won't you install an OpenVPN client on your server, and forward the necessary ports to it?

In the default configuration, since the default route will be the vpn interface, all your Ruby scripts will exit the internet

from the AirVPN IPs.

Isn't it what you described?

Regards,

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I think that the airvpn company should consider offering a server with shell access as an enlargement of their products, though.

A quite attractive suggestion when I think of it... but too bold in my opinion.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I'm sure if you paid around 700$ a month for the server that airvpn can provide with shell there could be a deal, but currently all servers are shared among us because we all pay a piece of that 700$ cake and offering shell so you can install software on a server would affect all of us.