Not connected, Your IP: 3.149.233.62
darkstar1707

Newbie looking for guidance

Hi everyone

I've just joined Air and am struggling to work out if I'm getting this right. I'm using Win 7 and Firefox as my browser and use utorrent.

When I am online and check whether I am "hidden" (using  http://whoer.net/extended) I get different results depending on which AirVPN server I am using.

The problem revolves around on my DNS settings. If I use (for example) the Hong Kong server, I appear to be completely invisible on the whoer site, i.e all my addresses show me as being in Hong Kong. The problem then is that I am locked out of at least one of my bit torrent sites which instantly turns all my torrent connections red and won't even let me into the site itself.

If  I choose another server (in the UK or Canada for instance). it shows my ISP address as being in that country but my DNS addy as still in Australia.

I know I'm doing something wrong but can't get my head around what I need to do to stop what I assume is a DNS leak. I've looked at the help sections on the site and find myself getting lost in them. Need a simple guide, help   :>)

cheers from oz

Phil

Because you posted this into the AirVPN Client forums, I assume you are using the Eddie client.

In Settings > Advanced > General, select Force DNS and Check if tunnel is using Air DNS.

Also, AirVPN has got its own leakage test website. You definitely could use this alongside whoer.net, just to "hear a second opinion".

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hi Giganerd

Thanks for the reply. I looked at my settings page, I can't see an "advanced" choice within my settings tab, all I've got is "collect history", "allow display of nickname" and an "API key" choices.

I used the Air site to check leakage and in the DNS section it showed both the Hong Kong server plus my own ISP addy  which confirms I have a leakage.. Overnight, the Hong Kong address has gone from appearing completely safe to showing a leak without me having chamged anything. Does this mean ity's my computer or the Hong Kong server that is the issue?

Ah, I found the settings link and did as you advised. Still getting the leak. My problem is I'm unsure exactly what to do to stop the leak. I can find a server that seems OK but it doesn't stay hidden all the time. Is that normal on a VPN or should it stay safe all the time? I assume its the latter so how do I keep it "locked"I still have trouble accessing my main bit torrent site whenever I find a server that seems to be leakfree.

Hey DS,

Just a thought: Have you changed firefox's [About:config] file? If yes, then sorry I have no other thoughts ATM.

If No, just type in the Address Bar in FireFox: about:config

answer YES to continue the query. Either scroll down or in the search bar type media then scroll down to "mediapeerconnection.enabled" then select the "TRUE" and change it to "FALSE".

Recheck.....

Hope it helps.