Not connected, Your IP: 18.221.53.209

Has anybody managed to get Syncthing working while using AirVPN? 
https://discourse.syncthing.net/

It works fine when AirVPN is turned off, but as soon as I start AirVPN, it seems to kill the global announce server…

and I can't connect to my other computer

I tried forwarding the port that the global server uses, but no luck there either…

I have also just tried using airVPN: name.airdns.org (using my chosen name) to foward the Global Discovery Server port, and entered that name into the global discovery field in Syncthing…

still no luck!

Anybody have any ideas how to resolve this problem?

—Thanks!

Yes, I have been able to use Syncthing on two firewalled devices behind AirVPN. For this test, I also disabled "Local Discovery" to rule out false positives.

Do not change the "Global Discovery Servers" and do not open/forward their ports!
Keep it to the default:

udp4://announce.syncthing.net:22026, udp6://announce-v6.syncthing.net:22026

On both/all of your devices, check Syncthing's web interface and look for the "Global Discovery" field. It has to say 1/2 or 2/2, meaning that it's been able to connect to at least one of the discovery servers. If it says 0/2, check your internet connectivity, VPN connectivity and the default discovery servers (step 1).

For each device you want to sync, create forwarded ports in Air's client area. As an example, let's pretend you have 2 devices and get ports 12345 and 12346.

Set the "Sync Protocol Listen Address" on device A to

0.0.0.0:12345

and on device B to

0.0.0.0:12346

and don't forget to restart each Syncthing instance after changing ports!

4. (only for firewalled devices)

If your devices' firewalls block all incoming traffic by default, allow traffic to port 12345 or 12346.
Example for ufw:

ufw allow in on tun0 to 0.0.0.0/0 port 12345

Example for iptables:

iptables -A INPUT -i tun0 -p tcp --dport 12345 -j ACCEPT

In Air's client area, do the TCP port check for each device. If Syncthing is running on the given device/port and your firewall allows incoming traffic (see step 4), you will get a green light. If you don't, check all the previous steps.

If you do get a green light for both devices, you can go ahead and pair your devices. On device A, click "Add Device" and type in device B's Device ID. You will now see a message on device A:

Device B ([AirVPN IP]:some_port) wants to connect. Add new device?

Choose "Add" and you're good to go

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Hi,

I use syncthing on my network without problems.

The network:

WIN 8 desktop [syncthing v0.10.27] (connected to AirVPN) with LAN connection to router (plus a wireless connection, see below)

WIN 7 desktop [syncthing v0.10.26] with LAN connection (not connected to AirVPN)

WIN 7 laptop [syncthing v0.10.26] with wireless connection to router (not connected to AirVPN)

Initially with syncthing, the WIN 8 desktop couldn't see the WIN 7 desktop (although Windows Explorer could).

I installed a wireless adapter on the WIN 8 desktop and connected to the router (thus 2 connections) and all is good.

(still don't understand why)

FYI:

The AirVPN client reconfigures BOTH adapters - all seems good, traceroute shows the first hop as dns.air.

The "Global Discovery" field is 1/2 on each computer

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your very informative and detailed answers!

Anyway, I have been unable to get syncthing consistently working!

…following what @sheivoko said:

I left the Global Discovery Servers at default

–I gave each machine a unique Port number under the Sync Protocol Listen Address

–I forwarded the Ports using the AirVPN Client Area…

I ran the AirVPN tcp test, and it said the Ports are reachable, I got the green light!

–I added the Ports to my IPtables list
I turned the Firewall off on the Windows machine & turned the router firewall off, so nothing would interfere with my testing…

–I manually forwarded the ports on my router…

& restarted…

oh PS, very interesting solution you have there @Fred!

I must try something out like that sometime when I get my hands on a spare wireless adapter! (I wonder why it works!?)

EDIT: both machines seem to connect now, but first after around 5 minutes!

I was not waiting long enough for it! DOH!
…because when the VPN was turned off; both machines would connect pretty much straight away!