Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.201.79
Sign in to follow this  
CriticalRabbit

Separate server on VM

Hi,

Is this possible? (I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to networks etc)

Here’s what I’m trying to achieve: I want to connect via Airvpn on my host Windows PC to a US server. Now, if I run Debian in a virtualbox and connect to the internet, it shows the same IP as is shown with my PC host browser (i.e. the same US sever).  Is it possible, therefore, to connect to a US server on my host Windows PC and connect to a different Airvpn server on my Debian virtualbox machine?

Cheers,

Rabbit

Yes its possible. But vpn chaining on the same provider does nearly squat for helping anonymity or security. It will also be a big speed hit.

If you wanted to do it for security reasons then use airvpn as the first hop and a different provider as the second hop.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I mainly want to do this because I want to watch netflix (US server) on Windows while browsing on the vm Debian machine on an EU server (because of other login criteria). I’m guessing this should work fine?

Cheers,

Rabbit

Hi,

Here’s what I’m trying to achieve: I want to connect via Airvpn on my host Windows PC to a US server. Now, if I run Debian in a virtualbox and connect to the internet, it shows the same IP as is shown with my PC host browser (i.e. the same US sever).  Is it possible, therefore, to connect to a US server on my host Windows PC and connect to a different Airvpn server on my Debian virtualbox machine?

Cheers,

Rabbit

Yes its possible. But vpn chaining on the same provider does nearly squat for helping anonymity or security. It will also be a big speed hit.

If you wanted to do it for security reasons then use airvpn as the first hop and a different provider as the second hop.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I mainly want to do this because I want to watch netflix (US server) on Windows while browsing on the vm Debian machine on an EU server (because of other login criteria). I’m guessing this should work fine?

Cheers,

Rabbit

You can avoid chaining by setting up the (virtual) network interface for the VM as "bridged" to your real physical adapter. That way it does not use NAT through your existing Windows default gateway IP address. Instead the VM shares the physical IP interface and your VM talks to your router using DHCP just like your Windows system. If you use your routers GUI interface to examine connections, you will see your VM in the list like any other machine on your LAN. So you then have to initiate a second independent VPN connection on your Debian VM (AirVPN allows up to three).

Hi,

Cheers,

Rabbit

>Yes its possible. But vpn chaining on the same provider does nearly squat for helping anonymity or security. It will also be a big speed hit.

Hi,

Cheers,

Rabbit

You can avoid chaining by setting up the (virtual) network interface for the VM as "bridged" to your real physical adapter. That way it does not use NAT through your existing Windows default gateway IP address. Instead the VM shares the physical IP interface and your VM talks to your router using DHCP just like your Windows system. If you use your routers GUI interface to examine connections, you will see your VM in the list like any other machine on your LAN. So you then have to initiate a second independent VPN connection on your Debian VM (AirVPN allows up to three).

Hi,

This sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Can you provide a more detailed walk-through or point me in the right direction to a good tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks,

Rabbit

You can avoid chaining by setting up the (virtual) network interface for the VM as "bridged" to your real physical adapter.

Hi,

This sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Can you provide a more detailed walk-through or point me in the right direction to a good tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks,

Rabbit

It's just an option in VirtualBox. Open VirtualBox and look in the GUI. Select the machine definition for you VM - Network/Adapter 1/Attach to: Bridged Adapter. Have you ever set up a VM with virtual box? Have you downloaded VirtualBox yet? If not, then the VirtualBox web site is probably a better place to start than here. Just Google VirtualBox.

You can avoid chaining by setting up the (virtual) network interface for the VM as "bridged" to your real physical adapter.

Hi,

Thanks,

Rabbit

It's just an option in VirtualBox. Open VirtualBox and look in the GUI. Select the machine definition for you VM - Network/Adapter 1/Attach to: Bridged Adapter. Have you ever set up a VM with virtual box? Have you downloaded VirtualBox yet? If not, then the VirtualBox web site is probably a better place to start than here. Just Google VirtualBox.

Hi,

I hadn't realised it was that simple until I followed your original instructions. I should have done that first before sending my previous reply All sorted; thanks for the help.