Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.193.232
OpenSourcerer

Steam knows Menkib is a VPN server

Recently I tried to buy something via Steam while connected to Menkib, DE. Steam didn't let me purchase it. At first I suspected that something must be wrong with my VPN connection.

But then I went through some help sites and read that Steam blocks purchases from VPN servers and anonymous services. While this is a nice and important feature it also means that some of AirVPN's servers are "blacklisted" and not able to purchase games. All other things like logging into Steam or downloading/playing games work.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Noobie question: how can sites tell that you are accessing via a VPN? How do they know it's not your real IP address? Sorry about my ignorance....I'm just curious and have often wondered about this. Thanks.

Noobie question: how can sites tell that you are accessing via a VPN?

Analysis, I think. In the case of Steam: Imagine your VPN provider uses shared IP addresses and a few users who are connected to the same VPN server access Steam. All the users connect with their own account; let's assume they live in different countries. A few users from a few different countries with no notable relations connect to Steam and share the same IP. What's the probability of them travelling to the same country, staying in the same city, the same hotel, therefore using the same internet connection? Even I would assume their shared IP might be the IP of a VPN server.

In case of a proxy server it's even easier - some proxy servers might send extra information with a request informing a site of the fact they are proxy servers.

If you ask about random websites - your addons or your browser configuration might disclose your real IP (and with it your real location, e.g. HTML5 geolocation).

Another thought: Some hidden blacklist Steam shares with other companies who offer internet services. Or some small extra businesses owned by Steam who constantly search the internet for VPN providers' IPs - oh boy, it sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Thoughts. Just thoughts.

Makes sense. A friend of mine told me private P2Ps will ban you immediately if you are using a VPN. I can understand why they'd want to, but I could never figure how they'd know you were using a VPN in the first place. I'm guessing it would actually make sense for them to collect VPN IP addresses!

Thanks!

I'm using a private P2P tracker and as far as I know they don't care if you use a VPN or not, just like they don't care if you got caught seeding or downloading something or not.

(Sent via Tapatalk 4)

Hello,

They don't care very much about more than one person using the same IP, it is not uncommon even in normal situations (such as university campus or college dorms). Likely the IP's become blacklisted because people are running them as TOR exit nodes or are using them inappropriately. Taking Steam as an example, what may have happened is that someone used a stolen CC on Steam, and their servers blocked the IP thereafter. It is worth sending an email to Steam and explaining the problem (or even lying and saying that your ISP throttles Steam or your university campus blocks it which is why you have to use a VPN etc). It might make things easier.

No problem buying from steam using vpn, if they realize that you use vpn there should be form for you to sign to confirm your country of orgin, works for me. using linux router u can just redirect team trafic outside vpn using ipset-dns.

No problem buying from steam using vpn

Which server did you use when you tried it? At least Menkib, DE, is still blocking purchases.