Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.242.165
McLoEa

Anyone familiar with this

Check2ip.com

It didn't recognize my Windows 8.1 machine. But that's just a minor thing.

I think using a firewall is cheaper. I tried out Comodo but it seemed quite complicated to ensure there's no escape out of my OpenVPN tunnel.

I personally just specify 0.0.0.0 or 10.4.0.1 as my static DNS server. If I'm not connected, many applications just lose internet connection although it's still there. Examples are Spotify and even Windows Update. Most of them don't seem to make an exception in their code to just connect via an IPv4 address if DNS fails. Then I connect to AirVPN using the IP address of the server I connect to.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

hello McLoEa,

You may also look at Viscosity, Little Snitch or Hands Off. I use Viscosity and Little Snitch on Mavericks 10.9.4. I know this software also works on windows. As for Check2ip.com it looks similar to ipleaks, I can't speak about http://openvpnchecker.com/ because i have never used it. 

Regards,

Solex1

Very nice,

thank you people.

Normally I am very happy with the airvpn tool ipleaks.net but that does tend to only work sporadically,it would be nice if there was a stickied thread that the devs here could update if and when that tool was undergoing improvements or updating I think.

Ok,so hands off and little snitch are only for mac .

The first tool I mentioned here,

Check2ip.com

looks very handy for me.I only need something that can deliver a quick check that my DNS isn't leaking for my peace of mind and that one does so with the added bonus that it also checks for the IP address of your cookies from whatever browser that tool  is launched in.

I have used Comodo before and I can't remember off-hand why I stopped now,maybe I should re-visit.

Also I have not run any command line arguments regarding changing the DNS as mentioned,

I personally just specify 0.0.0.0 or 10.4.0.1 as my static DNS server.

as I believe after leaving the vpn tunnel and returning to my regular isp connection I would need to reverse that process?

Cheers!

as I believe after leaving the vpn tunnel and returning to my regular isp connection I would need to reverse that process?

Mostly yes. As I wrote, not every application loses internet, some of them would use an IP to connect and this connection will go through your ISP line.

I wrote myself a simple script which I run to set DNS to 10.4.0.1 and back to DHCP if needed. Windows doesn't reverse the change after reboot so as long as no VPN connection is there the majority of all programs won't have an internet connection. It's written in script kiddie-like Windows Batch.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thanks for that,it is something to consider

I am looking for a way that an acquaintance can use a vpn and be secure in doing so and this person is even less tech savvy than me.

I am happy using Air and the ipleak site to check for leaks so really all I need is second leak test site that I can trust for when the ipleak.net site is down or undergoing improvements.

Found this one,

http://whoer.net/

the only thing is that not all DNS leak tests sites I have found are as accurate or as trustworthy as the ipleak.net site,not always returning the same results as that site.