Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.110.155
AlgoAirVPN

2-Factor Authentication

I have been using Yubico's Yubikeys everywhere possible, and they work brilliantly; with my work's VPN we use 2-factor authentication with smart cards, and it works great. I would love to be able to do the same with AirVPN, in particular using a Yubikey, which I have found tremendously user friendly. It would be a great addition to an already fantastic service.

I don't know why this thread didn't explode with replies...

I also think that AirVPN should definitely think about Two-Factor-Authentication.. Not only Yubikey but also SMS or grid or something like that..

Why would two factor authentication be useful here, exactly?

I can see the case for it in the case of connecting to a work VPN; there is going to be all kinds of private or sensitive information inside the network, and you really want to make sure that the person connecting is who they say they are.

But what are we protecting against in the case of using a VPN for privacy? There is no "inside" to keep people out of. The worst that can happen, it seems to me, is that someone gets to use the VPN connection without paying Air.

It might be useful for the site and forums I suppose, it would protect changing settings and posting.

I think it might be useful to protect account credentials inside forum, but will be useful with the client, too. If someone can steal my login/password (s**t happens), the thief prevent me for using my AirVPN service. He need the second factor auth to login/use my service or obtain access to forum. For me is a good idea, after all.

@magel1982

It would be most usefull in the forum...

Sometimes one wishes to use the VPN services while in a computer that might be compromised (for example, on a gaming machine). If AirVPN provided two-factor-authentication (atleast for the site), one could do that, while being sure that one's account would not be compromised.

There is no "inside" to keep people out of. The worst that can happen, it seems to me, is that someone gets to use the VPN connection without paying Air.

It might be useful for the site and forums I suppose, it would protect changing settings and posting.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.