Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.104.29
Sign in to follow this  
airvpnbuyer

Problems Reaching Full Speed

I've have had Air VPN for sometime, roughly a year.  I'm on a 100/10mb connection and usually top out at 25-30mb on the download side while connected to the VPN.  I've been reading through some posts on the forums and many members reach much higher speeds, closer to their max speed.

Without the VPN I can get 120/11 but with the VPN I get 30/10.  This has been tested on different ISP's and I've changed the port and switched back from UDP/TCP with and without SSL, tried different AirVPN servers and still the same speeds.

Any suggestions?

I think it is a hardware (router cpu) limit decrypting/encrypting the traffic via VPN. Can you list your hardware?

AFAIK no consumer router will be able to grant something near 100, not even an ARM CPU @1GHz like my R7000.

Only router based on fast x86 cpu can do it.

https://airvpn.org/topic/9849-vpn-bottleneck/

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)

"Only router based on fast x86 cpu can do it."  <--- Pretty much this.

Being that you tried multiple ISP's, it's not likely the issue is your being throttled. It is far more likely an issue with the hardware. You don't necessarily need the fastest processor, but you will want one with hardware encryption acceleration, namely AES-NI. Let us know what hardware you are using to see if we can further help.

Many serious users have moved into a platform such as pfSense. If you can afford to build a box, there are no comprimises with it if done right. Some users I have helped can max their 150Mb connections out minus the 10% OpenVPN overhead. I am on a 60/12 connection myself.

3668828568.png

Have my guides helped you? Help me keep helping you, use my referral: userbar.png

How to set up pfSense 2.3 for AirVPN

Friends don't let friends use consumer networking equipment!

Same issue here. On my router, ok, I get low speeds of 10/5 (I'm on a 100/4 line). On my Mac (Core2Duo) I also get as little as 30/5. I'm using the default settings I get from airvpn via the configurator. I'm using ubuntu as my OS.

I also run on a core 2 duo, gave up on using the router pretty quickly, and used to get close to my full speed (then 30, now 50) but it dropped way off a few months ago. some servers are better than others, so I often do a lot of connecting and disconnecting looking for my best compromise. But about 15 is the best I've seen for some time.