Not connected, Your IP: 18.223.106.232
Deric

TrueCrypt is safe?

hi airvpn team

please answer me know if truecrypt is still safe? or will no longer be safe in the future?
 will the owners say it is not safe and just indicates a program
not sure that everyone knows that the NSA can easily microsoft things,
owners received money from microsoft? are medode with some retaliation NSA?

which program to use now? continue using truecrypt?

truecrypt.ch and VeraCrypt are safe?

thank you

it would not surprise me one bit if the NSA and FBI are trying to cripple true crypt, theres plenty of stories about them failing to obtain the data from true crypt volumes during indictments

but i think your best bet is to get informed online. to find you an answer il do the same thing your doing... using google.

Such things usually go to the Off-Topic forum since it's not affiliated to AirVPN or any software to access their services. Besides..

it would not surprise me one bit if the NSA and FBI are trying to cripple true crypt

I share this point of view.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

It's supposedly not secure because:

1 - It is no longer being developed

Before the announcement, people didn't think of it as being insecure despite the last update being released in Feb 2012. So development really stopped back in 2012 and it's suddenly a problem now?

2 - It may contain unfixed security issues

Every security program may contain unfixed security issues.

There's a known one that you can prevent, if you are aware of it:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/12/breaking_hard-d.html

If the audit turns something major up, that's a reason to stop using it.

Until then, I'm going to stick with it.

The problem now is: Is Bit Locker really secure!?!

How do we know if Microsoft has some backdoor in it for lawenforcement?

The problem now is: Is Bit Locker really secure!?!

How do we know if Microsoft has some backdoor in it for lawenforcement?

Easy.... Its a large american corporation so Yes and if it uses AES-NI / RDRAND then also yes.

Well, in regards to a backdoor to bitlocker there are reasons that may be the case and reasons it is not the case.

The reasons their may be backdoor is some unknown agreement with Microsoft and the NSA.   

The reasons why this would be bad are many,  if EVER it was found that a backdoor existed it could very well put Microsoft out of business, the reasons are that many large corporations use MS servers.  Whether or not they use bitlocker doesnt matter.  If MS cannot be trusted to secure their data it would have a massive negative affect on their stock.  I personally believe that MS would never incorporate any backdoor in bitlocker.  Only one time that it was leaked ever would completly and forever undermine MS.  In addition their entire AZURE Cloud would be called into question.  

I personally think they would never risk it.  They would fight any requirement from the NSA because as we have seen its not just the "war on terror"  These things are used for a variety of non-terriorst prosecutions.  

While its possible some backdoor exists I personally dont believe it as MS has billions riding on their software and AZURE cloud.  Azure btw is now the 2nd largest hosting provider in the world behind Google in terms of storage and compute power.  Any backdoor to bitlocker would be such a monumental breach of trust they just wouldnt survive such a thing.

Thats my opinion.  I use bitlocker, i set up a virtual bitlocker encrypted drive and attach manually after boot up.  I didnt "backup" my key so if i ever forget my PW the data is gone.

Posted ... (edited)

What is the best/most secure alternative to truecrypt now?

Tried to install it but seems like it's not working with Win 8.1

Also i think i have the "regular" windows 8, so I don't have bitlocker

thanks in advance

Edited ... by ZPKZ