Not connected, Your IP: 18.226.4.16
Sign in to follow this  
Guest texeon

New Anti-Piracy Laws in Australia?

Guest texeon

Hey everyone,

Back after a while of not using AirVPN, mainly because of the new anti-piracy laws passed in Australia.

I was wondering, that with a VPN, I know that the encrypted tunnel prevents an ISP from knowing what's being transmitted, and the exit node makes it harder for them to figure out who it is doing it, but I was curious to find out if they could use guessing techniques, such as high levels of bandwidth being used to figure out what is being done?

If that's the case, then does the exit node act as another barrier to stop them being able to pin point you? Or can they see this random American IP on their Australian network, and will boot it?

I'd like to hear of anything that you guys think, so thanks for any replies!

Small "copyright infringement" isn't enough to deeply analyze your bandwidth and "guess" what you may be using your internet connection for. AFAIK i think you can relax  They can guess as hard as they want, won't prove shieeeeet

Small "copyright infringement" isn't enough to deeply analyze your bandwidth and "guess" what you may be using your internet connection for. AFAIK i think you can relax  They can guess as hard as they want, won't prove shieeeeet

And the people who might see you seeding a torrent they object to, in some other other country than where you are, are not powerful enough to do anything like this. The NSA, GCHQ or whatever does not worry about stuff like this. And I doubt that even they would be able to analyze traffic in such depth for the hundreds of thousands of people using P2P. Are they going to single you out because some copyright troll/sleazy lawyer wants them to?

Back after a while of not using AirVPN, mainly because of the new anti-piracy laws passed in Australia.

As far as I'm aware there have been no anti-piracy laws passed in Australia recently. They're being worked on, but nowhere near being passed by the senate.

Read: http://www.zdnet.com/au/brandis-and-turnbull-working-on-joint-piracy-crackdown-policy-7000030239/

It's dated the 5th of June, and see in particular: A spokesperson for Brandis said that no decision had been made on a set policy.

"The government is actively considering a range of options to tackle online piracy. No decision has been made."

Guest texeon

Well thanks everyone for the replies! Very informative, I was doing research of my own, but what sparked my concern was that even though you can mask the nature of the data transmitted, I was curious to see if they could make assumptions due to the length of time for the download or upload and amount of bandwidth it absorbs.

However I live in a rural town, so the exchange would be able to figure out that i'm in the area if I were to torrent, that's if they have those abilities, resources and interests.

I guess if I'm concerned I could easily, encrypt my OS, spoof my MAC address, use the VPN, encrypt my DNS, use a firefox browsing profile such as JonDoFox to not leave any traces and wipe history for when I browse and if I were to procure a torrent and use TOR or something to bounce my connection ha ha.

I might get my hands on airvpn again, that's if assumptions aren't what ISPs use? ha ha however I understand that they would require hard evidence, which is why I wouldn't wish to worry about having my computer seized if I were to torrent.

Other tools and services to consider: DuckDuckGo instead of Google. Disconnect to prevent tracking. HTTPS Everywhere. And good ol' NoScript and an AdBlocker. 

Just wondering, if JonDo changes your IP, will that provide more security than using a VPN that already gives you a different IP?

Guest texeon

JonDoFox is a profile that is crafted to prevent any information leaks besides your IP and DNS, so it'll mask everything that the "Geek's Info" highlights on ipleak.net.

JonDonym is it's own VPN or networks kind of thing that offers VPNs and servers to connect to, however it won't have the same policies that AirVPN has.

JonDoFox doesn't require JonDonym to function, but if you don't have a VPN client or service, it would be good for anonymity.

I've used Disconnect and NoScript (no script for many years), they're fantastic!