Not connected, Your IP: 3.23.130.191
Sign in to follow this  
syncswim

Forcing everything over VPN on DD-WRT

I hope you don't mind me posting this support request here, rather than on the DD-RWT forums, but I have a feeling you guys will be more helpful..

I set up DD-WRT on my router according to the instructions on this site, and all works fine, except (excuse my newbiness)..

Things that correctly show the AirVPN external IP are:

whatsmyip on any computer on the network

checkmytorrentip on my linux server

however these things are still working with my ISP IP:

DDNS updater on the router (no-ip)

Router web admin

I could understand that everything behind the router is routed through the VPN, but services on the router itself are not, but, and this is the one that really surprises me, I have couchpotato running on my linux server, and its web admin is showing on the ISP's IP too. I imagine this is the same for all the other services I have running on my server. Basically, I don't appear to be able to access my router from outside by using the VPN IP.

I ideally I'd like everything behind and INCLUDING the router to be available over the VPN, so I can use DDNS to resolve this IP to one hostname.

Lastly, my partner complained last night that some video was blocked on a website. I imagine this is due to some blacklist, but it means I'd like to exclude a local IP from being routed through the VPN.

Thanks in advance. I've been a subscriber for over a year and experienced nothing but great VPN and customer service so far

While I'm here, it seems my router is struggling with the vpn encryption, and I'm not willing to shell out for a more powerful router at the moment.

But, shouldn't it be possible to use my linux box as the entire network's default gateway, and run openvpn on there instead of the router?

If so, I guess it could never be as simple as setting the gateway in the router to the linux box's IP, and setting up openvpn on there?

I don't really understand what you're saying, but you are able to use the Linux box as the network's default gateway if you wish. As you said, set up OpenVPN on your server and just route all of your traffic through it. 

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I'd need 2 NICs on the linux server if I'm to set it up as the default gateway, right? If so, I think that option is out as an extra cable trailing around the room is not going to be acceptable to my partner. Besides, I think I've found a cheap enough replacement router to handle my current bandwidth over VPN. I'd much prefer to have the VPN client running on the router, as it simplifies the internet connection, which makes my life much easier when I'm away and the network goes down and my partner can't fix it..

What I meant with my original post, was that although I've got openVPN set up on my router, not all traffic is going through the VPN: The server's web admin page is still on my ISP's IP, and my DDNS updater on the router is not updating my no-ip domain to point to my VPN external IP. I realised that the other issue with couchpotato could be caused by my port forwarding..