Not connected, Your IP: 3.23.103.140
Sign in to follow this  
deskoh

special plan suggestion

Hi,

just an idea : what about adding a special plan for people who just look for a reliable privacy service with no
need for much bandwidth.

Well actually I don't know how much bandwith is important in your budget, but I've seen you have added new servers recently so that must an issue of a kind. I mean your plans are not that expensive but people with very small budget could think they don't need a vpn service since they spend much money with mobile + ISP already. So that could be a "democratic" move...

I've been thinking about that because of the series I make about privacy on my blog, you can find here (french)

regards

Sorry for the offtopic, but 5 Euros per month is really nothing, I spend more when I forget to close the pipe in the gas station.

For people with even lower budget than this, isn't Tor a good option?

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hi,

I've just noticed your answer zhang

Actually I don't think that Tor is a good option for anyone, only for hackers or drug dealers

No actually you're right 5 euros a month is not that expensive but it's still 60 euros a year, it could be an obstacle for people who hardly know what a VPN is, people who think they virtually don't need one. I'm talking about the "average" internet user not about geeks or heavy downloaders. This has more to do with psychology to me... Why would I invest such an amount for something that doesn't look that essential... though it is actually for privacy. There could be a small step for beginners, that's my suggestion...

I don't agree with your opinion about Tor, I don't know why you think that way, but actually the numbers speak for themselves:

https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html

Ofcourse just with any product, hackers and drug dealers will use it, but that's right about everything, even if we take Nokia phones as an example.

Also I don't understand your math, you say 5 Euros a month is nothing, but 60 Euros per year is alot. But you do agree that a year is a pretty long period right?

Same as, if I would theoretically want to buy a plan for the next 30 years, I will have to pay a "whopping" amount of 1800 Euros, which will look high right now

but it's simply not the right way, in my opinion, to calculate those things.

Regards,

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Well don't get me wrong, I think Tor is a very good idea and service. I've visited your link : for france (country I live in) 187500 daily users means only 0.2% of french total population. More than I what I'd have expected but still not a lot...

I think Tor isn't made for everyday surfing anyway and that's what I'm talking about. The truth is that a very huge majority of internet users still don't use VPN/proxy services and hence have every move they make on internet collected by state intelligence agencies, so where's privacy and individual freedom in that?

As for budget, I think a year period is more relevant than a single month or 30 years since it's the length of a commercial contract. With 60 euros you can buy two trousers for example, I don't think it's trivial.

Anyway it's just a suggestion I'm making to AirVPN staff and I wanted to share, I don't want to go into a long debate about tor, vpn, privacy, etc

regards