Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.118.88
Sign in to follow this  
Indigo35

Shared IP problem

I use the Air VPN for all my traffiic.

I applied for a new credit card and didn't realize that the bank would call me a couple months after opening it that my IP address used on the app was previously used to open other fraudulent accounts.

I told them it was me who opened it. They asked if it was over wifi.

What are the broader ramifications of this?

Can I get in trouble with the bank? WIth other sites because of this shared IP technology?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

This is, unfortunatelly, a very common issue.

Not only with a VPN but in any case when your IP is dynamic and might rotate among many potential end-users.

Banks, historically, are very traditional and old fashioned, and if we look at the way they work today, there is some fraction of common sense for

this policy, which actually dating back to the 1990s when each subscriber was provided with his own Dial-up IP address, and customers could

be identified almost certainly by IPs, just like with telephone numbers.

You can just tell the bank that it was a public wifi, that's what I tell when some service markes my connection as "Fraud" using AirVPN.

And, I would not suggest anyone to use PayPal over AirVPN, not because of any issue from the AirVPN team that does their job great, but because of

all those companies that still think that an IP address in 2014 can be used as an identification and/or personal identity.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.