Not connected, Your IP: 3.129.26.108
Sign in to follow this  
Blag

Second NIC for non-VPN network with dd-wrt

My PC has a redundant second network adapter and it has just occurred to me that it could make life a little easier if I set it up for non-VPN use. It just seems so insanely simple.

I have a VPN dd-wrt setup but there are occasions when I need to connect directly to my ISP. To do that I must physically change the LAN connection from the dd-wrt to the ISP router, change the adapter DNS and IP settings to match the network and import an ISP configuration of Comodo (I could use one, but two ensures that ne'er the two networks shall meet).

Using the second nic all I need to do is configure it for the ISP router and make sure it's disabled. To change connections I only have to disable the VPN adapter and enable the ISP one...and that's it.

Assuming I'm not already doing something wrong am I missing something or is it really that easy? Is there a better use of the second network card than what I am suggesting?

One the subject of  dd-wrt there is one issue about port forwarding I find confusing. Many devices (Sony Playstation?) don't work that well over a VPN. Some torrent sites only allow members to download over a direct connection. Many people advise not to use Skype over a VPN because of security concerns. I understand the need to port forward through AirVPN but let's say I want to use the PS3 to play online and can't use the VPN. Obviously I still need to set up port forwarding on the ISP router. My assumption is that port forwarding is only a problem when you set it up on both the dd-wrt router and AirVPN. But is this also true for Port Forwarding on the ISP router or can I safely ignore it after I've switched back to dd-wrt? 

Cheers

Have you considered just getting a wireless router instead of a wired connection?

My current setup is as follows:

1x modem router, naked, stock ROM, ISP DNS

1x router, VPN enabled, DD-WRT ROM, AirVPN DNS

Whenever I want to go behind a VPN I can connect to the VPN enabled router, and whenever I want to use my naked line I can just connect to my modem router.

As a result, I have certain devices always connected to the VPN-enabled router (media center etc) and certain devices connected to my naked line (phone etc).

No DNS issues, no messing with cables or anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact both my dd-wrt and ISP routers are wireless making it easy to switch from one to the other using a wireless client. I agree it is really convenient but unfortunately not much good for my desktop that I use for work and isn't wireless.

I've since set up the second NIC and it works great. Whenever I want to switch from VPN to ISP I just disable the appropriate adapter, load the right Comodo configuration and I'm in.

Taking your suggestion a step further I do have a wireless n USB adapter that I could use on the desktop PC  to connect to my ISP. I'll give that a try too