Not connected, Your IP: 18.225.117.183
nunz

ANSWERED One AirVPN account --> Multiple VPN connections?

I have one (1) premium account with AirVPN. 

On my work computer, I have set up an AirVPN connection by choosing servers from the Europe continent. A VPN connection is established and working well.

Back at home, I have attempted to set up another VPN connection by choosing servers from the America continent. However, as I try to connect, Tunnelblick returns an error message "Authentication failed. The credentials (passphrase or username/password) were not accepted by the remote VPN server."

If I go to the Client Area on this website, in a yellow box it says "Last attempted connection failed 2m 13s ago. Reason: Already logged on 'Naos'"

Does all this mean that one (1) premium account is permitted to establish only (1) VPN connection from one (1) computer/device at a time? Or, if multiple VPN connections are permissible, say from a Mac, another Mac, and an iPhone, how would I establish such multiple connections without running into an authentication error?

Thank you.

I do not think you are allowed to connect to AirVPN on 2 different computers using only 1 account

However, what I would like to know is if we are allowed to AirVPN from 1 computer and 1 smartphone (eg, iPhone, Android, etc) device?  Most other VPN services will allow 1 computer + 1 smartphone device.

29-NOV-17 EDIT - THIS THREAD IS OBSOLETE. CURRENTLY, AN ACCOUNT CAN ESTABLISH UP TO FIVE SIMULTANEOUS CONNECTIONS.

They only allow 1 connection per account. What I do is run a OpenVPN client on my dd-wrt router (but anything you can use as a server will work) to connect to AirVPN and then have my router also run an L2TP passthrough and use that as my VPN for my phone (it could be setup to work with OpenVPN server as well, its just easier to use L2TP on iPhone). This way all phone traffic goes through my home connection, which is behind AirVPN, and thus encrypted. 

Would you mind letting me know what router you use as a dd-wrt router, please? 

Check here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/6652-airvpn-tomato-configuration-step-by-step-guide/

Massive thread and guide on using openVPN via the router

Just bare in mind your limited by your router cpu speeds,   currently most are hitting 8-9meg per sec,   so your sadly limited for myself its more then enough for now and I would rather loose speed any day of the week and have better encryption.

Asus RT-N16 router is perhaps one of the most stable and best routers,  uses the Tomato firmware which has openvpn support.

I had teething issues at first but I found it my was network driver causing 90% issues,   otherwise it works well and all connections are now encrypted.

I use an ASUS RT-N66U but anything on this list: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices with 8MB flash memory or more (to run the mega build of dd-wrt which comes with OpenVPN client) should work. You can still do it with routers with less than 8MB flash but it involves using a usb drive and some other stuff that you can look up if you want to use something cheaper.

Would you mind letting me know what router you use as a dd-wrt router, please? 

You can use a cheap LinkSys WRT54GS Router for DD-WRT and openvpn, although they are old, don't have alot of memory and can be slow. They might cap or top out your connections at around 250-350 KB/S Down because the lack of memory, and cpu performance inside the router. (That's if you decide to use the router as a VPN Client) (If you do not use it as a VPN client then you will get normal high download/upload speeds). They can be found on e-bay or computer store's. Linksys WRT54GS series routers are old but will work if you want to use it as a VPN Client for all your computers/devices.

I use an ASUS RT-N66U but anything on this list: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices with 8MB flash memory or more (to run the mega build of dd-wrt which comes with OpenVPN client) should work. You can still do it with routers with less than 8MB flash but it involves using a usb drive and some other stuff that you can look up if you want to use something cheaper.

You use the ASUS RT-N66U as a VPN Client for your computers/devices? How is the performance/speed? Up/down kb/s, mb/s?

They have instructions for using dd-wrt (the firmware I installed on my RT-N66U) with their service. Any device that uses that router will then be using the VPN for their traffic. I use TCP and get about 6mb/s down, 9mb/s up (with UDP my speeds are similiar). Without VPN I get 50mb/s down and 10mb/s up.

Of course then you have the problem of your cell phone LTE/3g not being on that network when you leave your house. You can setup your router so it also acts as a VPN server/passthrough so you set your phones VPN settings to connect to your router (using its external IP address) AS its VPN server. So now any device on your wireless network is using the VPN, but when your phone switches off your network it uses your router as its VPN which is using your VPN provider. They do not provide instructions for this, and neither do I beyond this post, so this should only be done if you really understand what is going on.

The alternative route is to cough up an extra $5 a month for another account for each of your cell phones. This isn't a bad option either, because with the last technique all your LTE/3g traffic goes through your router, and thus your home's internet bandwidth cap/speed apply on top of whatever the VPN is capable of. If your router's internet connection is way faster than the VPN provides (such as in my case) and have no download limit, this it not a problem.

What I did for a router was look for an old PC on Craigslist. I found someone giving an old mini tower away. Pentium-D, I think a gig of ram. I bought a small, cheap SSD drive for it and a cheap 2nd NIC from Staples. Downloaded and installed the X86 version of DD-WRT. I'm getting around 52mb/s down and 10mb/s up.

Thanks so much, fawkesguy, for the info. As ignorant as I am, I was not aware of this PC-based approach to DD-WRT. So, I am going to read & learn more about it.

I just hope to find a Mac-based DD-WRT solution as well.