97 replies to this topic

#41 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

I need to work out my megabytes from my megabits otherwise this gets confusing !

McLoea that is good to hear regarding the speeds, I am glad to hear you will be getting the 50meg update I would be interested to hear how the speed is after this update while under air :)

lrj972: link is working now its great to see you can make full use of the bandwith under air and with no tweeks, but it does also confuse why some air customers under virgin get a major hit or unusable service and a few don't. Could be that port forwarding businesss still.

#42 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

I think I should post a ps to this thread.

I use speedtest.net for my  results and I generally check 2 or 3 times.

The speeds I mentioned in this thread are all the fastest speeds I get after a few checks.

:)

#43 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

A pic would be great, did you also check actual real speeds during torrents or downloads?

Someone one page 1 suggested speedtest is inaccurate on virgin bb testing

#44 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

that's right now on port 443 UDP Germany

#45 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

awesome look forward to the 50meg speedtest in 2-3 weeks time ?

#46 Ernst89

Ernst89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

AirVPN has slowed for me from the 120Mb/s I posted 6 months ago. So not  a 50Mb/s but hopefully interesting none the less.

I won't claim to be an expert but the thinkboardband test suggests to me that there is a significant contention for bandwidth on the AirVPN server. Possibly there is a VirginMedia problem too but I can't think of a test to spot that.

139717032174360192157.png

Obviously I would like it to run at 120Mb/s but I think that is a little bit too much to expect for the money. For me it has always been above the 4 Mb/s that AirVPN promise. Connection quality is more important for me than raw speed.

#47 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

Here's a link to aGoogle+ hangout with Vint Cerf,

link not being allowed it seems but a quick youtube search for Vint Cerf and google hang outs should take you there

he's the guy we have to thank for the IP/TCP protocols and he talks about the IPv4 that I would imagine the majority of people here are still on as being the beta model of the internet and that IPv6 is the real thing.

Worth a watch.

#48 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

AirVPN has slowed for me from the 120Mb/s I posted 6 months ago. So not  a 50Mb/s but hopefully interesting none the less.

I won't claim to be an expert but the thinkboardband test suggests to me that there is a significant contention for bandwidth on the AirVPN server. Possibly there is a VirginMedia problem too but I can't think of a test to spot that.

139717032174360192157.png

Obviously I would like it to run at 120Mb/s but I think that is a little bit too much to expect for the money. For me it has always been above the 4 Mb/s that AirVPN promise. Connection quality is more important for me than raw speed.

Did you try port 443 UDP with Germany server ?

#49 Ernst89

Ernst89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

139729948187452158684.png

Port 443 UDP with German (Frankfurt).

11 MB/s With speedtest

My connection has definitely slowed from six months ago. I really don't know why. Its ok at the moment but I would be very unhappy if it was Virgin shaping OpenVPN.

If AirVPN staff are reading I want to make clear the speed is still OK at the moment and I value line quality, jitter/packet loss/consistency etc, over raw speed. Quality is also ok at  the moment.

Without VPN speedtest.net gave a solid 126Mb/s to the same Frankfurt speedtest.net (leaseweb) server. 

#50 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Hi nickspam

Just making sure I got the numbers right 11MBs(what you get) is almost equivelent to 70-80Mpbs on your Virgin 120Mpbs line right ?

120Mpbs should be roughly 14MBs (larger MB)

I agree still I would rather have stability and reliability over a poor line.

#51 dIecbasC

dIecbasC

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:48 PM

that sounds right, I get 121mbps and download at just under 15MB/s......

#52 Ernst89

Ernst89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hi nickspam

Just making sure I got the numbers right 11MBs(what you get) is almost equivelent to 70-80Mpbs on your Virgin 120Mpbs line right ?

120Mpbs should be roughly 14MBs (larger MB)

I agree still I would rather have stability and reliability over a poor line.

Sorry, I made a mistake. I should have written 11Mb/s. i.e. <1/10 of my non vpn line speed. I did provide links which showed the true numbers.

#53 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Sorry its just me getting confused with Mbs and Mbps I think !

I ran the same test via speedtest website and got this:

3435446998.png

This was connected to a random air server in amsterdam via airvpn client on an basic 16Mbps broadband provider if I am seeing this right I am getting almost the same download speeds as yourself despite your connection being 10x faster?

So clearly Virgin throttling you or a port getting blocked or something else here, if you look at lrj972 who is on the same service as yourself he gets this:

http://www.irj972.co.uk/articles/VPN-performance

airvpnconnection.png

with 120Mbps virgin broadband connected to a uk server I think.

If I was you I would try opening ports and try alternative servers or worst comes to worst try alternative VPN providers, its this mystery which really needs further detective work.

#54 Ernst89

Ernst89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

So clearly Virgin throttling you or a port getting blocked or something else here, if you look at lrj972 who is on the same service as yourself he gets this:

http://www.irj972.co.uk/articles/VPN-performance

Actually  I don't think VirginMedia are throttling beyond normal internet congestion. 

I tried a SLL connection and saw a big improvement in the Speedtest,net result. However whilst the Thinkbroadband test showed a vast improvement in single thread speed it showed no improvement in six thread speed. This indicates to me that AirVPN is limiting the speed of a single thread rather than VirginMedia (which can't look into the VPN tunnel and see how many threads I'm using). Moreover it suggests the Speedtest.net improvements that people report seeing using SLL or SSH connections may be due to the way AirVPN allocates thread bandwidth rather than anything to do with VirginMedia. The AirVPN SSL/SSH connections even go to a different IP address so the load may be different from a normal connection. A tcp SSL/SSH connection also has a disadvantage that it increases latency.

I can't explain why  irj972 is getting 112Mb/s, whilst I get lower (I have got higher in the past as shown in a post earlier in this thread). But my real life speeds to the closest servers (Amsterdam) seem to be in line with the 40-60Mb/s commonly seen on the AirVPN top speeds page. I did a multithread download last night and saw myself as top downloader at about 70-80Mb/s. 

I would also like to point out that I think AirVPN provides very good value for money and performance is perfectly satisfactory for my needs, this investigation was just due to my autistic curiosity. 

I should also point out my VirginMedia connection is very low congestion and I realize that a great many VirginMedia customers are not so lucky.

#55 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

yeah I don't like these speedtest either seems hit and miss and you may have to run it a few times even.

If your getting 70-80Mb/s in real term performance downloads then its more then enough speeds.

I would rather loose some speed if it meant to be with Air.

#56 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hello folks,

I had my speed upgrade to 50Mb/s a few days ago and I'm actually getting a bit more than that from a regular Virgin connection,in the region of 55Mb/s download average.

Using the VPN and there's been a fall off of about another 20% over the speeds i reported getting earlier on in this thread and now I'm lucky if I get to see anything over 10Mb/s no matter what server I connect to although the central European servers can and do still give 15Mb/s on a good day.

Nothing I can't live with but still a little disappointing to see the speeds drop like that.

#57 refresh

refresh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hello folks,

I had my speed upgrade to 50Mb/s a few days ago and I'm actually getting a bit more than that from a regular Virgin connection,in the region of 55Mb/s download average.

Using the VPN and there's been a fall off of about another 20% over the speeds i reported getting earlier on in this thread and now I'm lucky if I get to see anything over 10Mb/s no matter what server I connect to although the central European servers can and do still give 15Mb/s on a good day.

Nothing I can't live with but still a little disappointing to see the speeds drop like that.

Hi thanks for letting us know, yeah it seems similar to what the topic starter suggested after he got his upgrade. I think its hit and miss with this ISP and with Air for now.

#58 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

I've been using Air for about a year now and i find there can be a great deal of variation month to month and day to day but overall I feel the benefits make it worthwhile.

:)

#59 McLoEa

McLoEa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

For what it's worth and as an addendum to this thread,

today I downloaded a 24GB file over a tunneled connection that gave me a speed test result of 8Mb/s in about 90 minutes,2 hours maybe.

The few times I checked to see what speeds the files were coming in at the speed was going up to 4Mb/s so that goes to show that you don't need super Mb/s download speed to get a file quickly I guess the availability of the files has more to do with it than how much bandwidth you're getting.

For me at least that result is something to be reasonably happy about,I don't know about people who are used to an over 100Mb/s connection of course but I don't really download large files like that too often and when I do I think averaging an hour for 10GB or more of download isn't too bad.

I'd be interested to hear what other folk have to say on the subject as well though.

Charlie

#60 Ernst89

Ernst89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hi McLoEa

I think you meant to say that the 24GB download was proceeding at approximately 4 MB/s = 32 Mb/s. Which is more in line with the 90-120 minutes.