97 replies to this topic

#1 AirSpider

AirSpider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Morning all,

I've just jumped on a 120Mb Virgin Media cable connection and my VPN connection is now dire. I'm maxing out at about 8Mb (with a random burst here and there), and this remains the same no matter which server/port I'm on. I've tried every available router option and disabled all firewalls, but nothing I've tried has had any effect. The speed tests give the impression that the connection is being throttled.

It appears this is caused by the OpenVPN protocol, as I've taken trials from two other providers on IPSec and I can almost max it out. Do Air offer anything other than OpenVPN, and if so, how do I get hooked up? I've been extremely happy with Air, so much so I have recommended them on several occasions; it would be a real shame to have to say goodbye over this  :(

Thanks all, K22

#2 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

Hello!

We're sorry, AirVPN is based on OpenVPN.

We have never received elements to assume that Virgin is throttling bandwidth against OpenVPN, did this happen recently?

Kind regards

#3 AirSpider

AirSpider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hello!

This issue became apparent after upgrading to 120Mb 2 days ago, prior to this I was on 60Mb and had no issues whatsoever. I have since downgraded to 60Mb in an attempt to resolve but the issue remains. 

After trialling OpenVPN connections from other providers I can confirm that the problem affects them also, whilst IPSec offerings are unaffected. It seems that VM are throttling OpenVPN traffic; perhaps the upgrade process triggered a new profile/shaping policy? At the moment the only viable solution is to connect under a different protocol.

Of course I would rather not leave Air, but what choice do I have :( I am happy to perform any testing that may assist you in a workaround, and would be grateful if you would refund the remainder of my plan.

Many thanks, K22

#4 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hello!

Which other providers? We have extremely rare warnings of providers unconditional shaping on OpenVPN, and in most cases they are false positives (i.e. client error, not ISP throttling).

Kind regards

P.S. Any other report from Virgin customers?

#5 AirSpider

AirSpider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hi,

[moderator note: ads for VPN competitors have been cut out]

Whatever the cause of the problem, I am confident that 'user error' is not a factor. You stated yourself that OpenVPN problems exist for Virgin customers here: https://airvpn.org/topic/8421-new-user-slow-speeds-s/?hl=virgin#entry8431 and that "If you get exactly 10 Mbit/s on all servers, all ports and all protocols then your ISP caps your OpenVPN connections at exactly 10 Mbit/s."

I wish as much as you that there were another way round this, but I can only tell it as I see it  :(

Many thanks, K22

#6 AirSpider

AirSpider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Hello!

Which other providers?

[moderator note: ads for VPN competitors have been cut out]

Not 'ads', just answering your question :yes:

#7 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hello,

we would have liked to know which other ISPs you noticed capping OpenVPN... :D

Kind regards

#8 Royee

Royee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Dont forget Virgin do different types of throttling at some of the most weird times and types...

How do I avoid traffic management?

Save heavy downloads and uploads for overnight, set them running just before bed. Just leave your computer to do it overnight, from 11pm onwards. The best bit is waking up the next morning to find it all done.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3103&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

Possible your just being traffic shaped/throttled

They recently changed there times earlier this year.

Worth trying just after 2am even some of there forums state the limit and all restrictions go after that time.... some guys that try and do a heavy download get throttled for 4hrs etc....

#9 AirSpider

AirSpider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hello,

we would have liked to know which other ISPs you noticed capping OpenVPN... :D

Kind regards

I see. Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had written "After trialling OpenVPN connections from other VPN providers" :lol:

Possible your just being traffic shaped/throttled

I have read the management policy; there is nothing allowing a 120Mb connection to be throttled to 10Mb :rules: That said, I do believe the connection was being aggressively managed by Virgin. I subscribed to a competitor this evening (one month only, I have faith in Air yet!) and the connection looks like this: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2947607735

Nuff said

#10 Royee

Royee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

I am at a loss on any solutions,  even if you were to use a tomato router that also uses the openvpn system.

I take it the issue is the same with the Airclient software also ?

Have you tried even the basic checks,  disable firewall,  any other ip filters or blocking,  disable malware/virus scanners etc

I understand it all works fine at max speeds on others but hey worth a shot.

perhaps last try and ditch attempt try it on another laptop or pc,  or even mobile phone.... just to see the speed and performance.

#11 Ernst89

Ernst89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hi AirVpn does work at almost full speed for a VM 120 connection http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2952551578.

There are however a few caveats my speed does vary sometimes It goes as low as 12 Mb/s. In peak times it is common to see it at about 50Mb/s. I suspect this is part due to virgin and in part due to air.

It is worth noting that virgin tends to handle congestion on a per thread/connection basis. So at a congested time you may only get 60Mb/s on a single connection/thread but if you have two you will still be able to get 120Mb/s. It is my assumption that the AirVPN VPN tunnel is effectively a single connection in the VM world so even if we run two threads over the VPN tunnel it is slowed as if it were a single VM connection. In the past (years ago when I last looked) Speedtest used two connections to test speed, so I would not be surprised to see airvpn running at half VM speed at a peak VM time. Congestion on VM can of course vary massively minute to minute. It is also worth noting this slow down will effect bittorent with its multitude of threads even more significantly.

Secondly OpenVPN is cpu intensive. On my tomato router (asus rt-N16) it was limited to about 8Mb/s, I doubt the asus rt-N66U or 56 would be much faster. Even an intel i860 caps at about 90Mb/s. My SandyBridge 2500K can handle full speed 120, either using the airclient or a virtual pfSense router.

I would also expect any cheap all you can eat VPN to be limited at peak times, or become so as people discovered it. 

Please take my comments with a pinch of salt I'm not a network expert, nor have I had my views confirmed. They are just the way I figure things to be, any reasoned corrections would be welcome.

#12 greenhouseblues

greenhouseblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

I'm also having my speed apparently "capped" by Virgin Media to around 3-5mb/s. I'm currently on a 60mb/s subscription, and I usually get that speed at all times if I don't connect though AirVPN. I've tried (Like the other post above) various servers, protocols and ports, turning off firewalls etc, but the highest speed I've ever got through AirVPN in months of using it is 3-5Mb/s.

Has anyone else who is with Virgin Media been able to resolve this problem?

Cheers

#13 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

I'm also having my speed apparently "capped" by Virgin Media to around 3-5mb/s. I'm currently on a 60mb/s subscription, and I usually get that speed at all times if I don't connect though AirVPN. I've tried (Like the other post above) various servers, protocols and ports, turning off firewalls etc, but the highest speed I've ever got through AirVPN in months of using it is 3-5Mb/s.

Has anyone else who is with Virgin Media been able to resolve this problem?

Cheers

Hello,

Virgin Media infrastructure is insufficient to deliver the nominal peak bandwidth to all of their customers at the same time, so they perform traffic shaping on protocol-discriminatory basis, see their statement: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3103

This is typical practice of every ISP which operates an infrastructure which, due to heavy overselling, is totally inadequate to support on a regular basis the nominal, "promised" peak bandwidth to every customer at the same time.

You might like to try OpenVPN over SSL to port 443, and OpenVPN over SSH to port 80, just to see if they shape those protocols less than OpenVPN.

Kind regards

#14 greenhouseblues

greenhouseblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thank you.

I have been trying for a few days to set up both SSL & SSH using the config generator. I've download the files but the "How to use /  Set up intruction page" for both are a bit sketchy for a newbie like me.

Is there a more detailed, exact, step by step guide that I could follow, anywhere. in the forums? (Where exactly to copy files to - what exactly to enter in the command line etc)

Thank you.

#15 darckhart

darckhart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

I was also going to suggest trying ssh and/or ssl with the openvpn.

However, I too have trouble getting the setup to work correctly on Windows. 

#16 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hello!

In the following example, we setup an OpenVPN over SSH connection to port 22 of server Persei with Windows Vista/7/8.

1) Log in the Air web site and go to "Client Area"->"Config Generator"

2) Tick "Windows" as Operating System and select server "Persei"

3) Tick "Advanced Mode" and tick "SSH Tunnel, port 22"

4) Tick to accept the Terms of Service and click "Generate"

5) The Generator will generate four files. Download the four files "AirVPN_US-Persei_SSH.22.ovpn", "AirVPN_US-Persei_SSH-22.bat", "sshtunnel.ppk" and "plink.exe".

6) Put (copy and paste) the aforementioned four files in the SAME directory. It can be any directory you like, just create a new one for your comfort.

7) Open a PowerShell or a command prompt, cd to the aforementioned directory (*) and type:
AirVPN_US-Persei_SSH-22.bat

8) Wait until ssh connection is established (it should take just 3-4 seconds), then open another Powershell WITH administrator privileges, cd to the same directory as above and type:
openvpn AirVPN_US-Persei_SSH.22.ovpn

(*) this means to set the current working directory with the command cd. For example, if the directory where you pasted all the files is C:\somedirectory\someotherdirectory, the command will be: "cd C:\somedirectory\someotherdirectory"

Kind regards

#17 greenhouseblues

greenhouseblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Thank Youfor the clear instructions.

I have now successfully used both SSL & SSH using the above instructions.

My speed has now increased from 3-5mbps to around 11mbps (Using SSL), there was a smaller improvement on SSH to about 7-8 mbps.

It's better than it was.

#18 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thank Youfor the clear instructions.

I have now successfully used both SSL & SSH using the above instructions.

My speed has now increased from 3-5mbps to around 11mbps (Using SSL), there was a smaller improvement on SSH to about 7-8 mbps.

It's better than it was.

Hello,

very interesting for us and useful to Virgin customers as well as potential Virgin customers, thank you very much for your feedback.

Kind regards

#19 Lumikai

Lumikai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

I too am on Virgin Media connection (60mb) and seem to be capped when running through VPN. Normal connection through airvpn I hit a maximum 3mbps on speedtest.net no matter which server I choose. Through OpenVPN over SSL I had the following download speeds:

8 mbps - dorsum
6.3 - Naos
5 - 7 - Tauri
2 - Virginis
5.8 - Keid
5 - grafias

Do those speeds look normal? or am I still experiencing traffic shaping?

Thanks

#20 greenhouseblues

greenhouseblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

I use Naos on SSL-443 on a Virgin Media 60mb connection. (Manually run via command line)

Speedtest.net today has given me 56mbps on my first test, then 8-12 mpbs on my second and third test (done about 15minutes apart in the morning).

I'd say I experiance about 7-10mpbs usually, which isn't idea but it was a lot faster than running the Airvpn client which only gave me 2-3mbps using it's settings.

I found SSH gave me slower speeds when trying out various options, but this may have changed.