Photo

Connecting to trackers fails from different servers

Best Answer pj, 04 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

Hello everybody.

The problem is one and only one: some torrent trackers administrators blacklist entire IP ranges, even all the IP addresses of whole datacenters sometimes.

We will bypass such blocks, since there's no ethical, technical or moral reason NOT to do so. Quite the contrary, actually. Some of those blocks are already bypassed right now, as you might have noticed: we're experimenting with Diadem and we'll do that, maybe slowly but surely relentlessly, in every and each server, if necessary. However please consider the following:

1) Bittorrent trackers were originally born to enhance and facilitate free flow of information on a neutral and open Internet at the price of a dangerous centralization. There was no choice: mainline-DHT and PEX were in a development stage or even totally unimplemented on most clients, and Kademlia highly needed improvements.

2) Bittorrent trackers administrators who blacklist entire datacenters or wide IP ranges are, consciously or unconsciously, active enemies of a neutral and open Internet.

3) Bittorrent trackers usage is nowadays exploited by a wide range of privacy and freedom of information hostile, mentally deranged people that by simply interrogating a tracker obtain huge lists of IP addresses which are then exploited for filthy purposes.

4) Modern DHT, additionally empowered by PEX, has rendered Bittorrent trackers obsolete and mostly useless, as well as magnet links have rendered torrent files totally useless.

I can hear someone screaming "the stats! the staaats!" ... I can only ask what do the stats mean in comparison to a free and open Internet, in comparison to the task of lowering the barriers to information access? First let's defeat those who want walled-gardens or gasp for shutting down the open Internet, then we'll face the staaats problem (that already now has been partially solved).

Draw your own conclusions.

Kind regards
pj
Air co-founder

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

I do not get DHT + PEX with out a tracker starting the flow of data to me 

Hello,

do you mean that your client does not support DHT?

Kind regards

#42 NaDre

NaDre

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

I do not get DHT + PEX with out a tracker starting the flow of data to me

What client is it? I believe deluge has indeed had issues with DHT bootstrapping because there are no bootstrap nodes associated with the deluge project. So people sometimes had to "manually" boot strap DHT:

http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41249

That is not necessarily the best link to get help from. I just did a quick search trying to see what the current situation is. I do not use deluge. It was a quite a while ago that I looked into this.

I believe the simplest way to get DHT going if there is a problem is to get momentarily involved in downloading a torrent that supports DHT which has a good swarm using a tracker. You then pickup DHT peers to bootstrap from from other peers in the swarm. Various Linux distros would probably do. Once DHT is going you can stop it and release the disk space.

#43 L0bstrosity

L0bstrosity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Torrenting is becoming pretty problematic lately, constantly getting blocked from trackers.  It gets "fixed" for 12 hours or so then get blocked again.

Hello!

That's interesting, we have not done anything in the last days about trackers. From which server(s) have you noticed that the mentioned trackers are only intermittently reachable?

Anyway, as a side question, why do you need public trackers? They are not only useless (thanks to DHT+PEX) but also harmful.

Kind regards

Sorry forgot to include server info in original post but due to probationary period I couldn't edit it right away.  The issues are only there when I am connecting from USA servers, if I switch to anywhere but the USA the problem goes away.  Even with DHT there was no traffic passing through, couldn't connect to a single peer...with any torrent.  And I always use magnet links but just posted the tracker info that is inevitably there as possible relavent info.  Thanks for the response.

#44 jgalt

jgalt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:40 AM

Torrenting is becoming pretty problematic lately, constantly getting blocked from trackers.  It gets "fixed" for 12 hours or so then get blocked again.

Hello!

That's interesting, we have not done anything in the last days about trackers. From which server(s) have you noticed that the mentioned trackers are only intermittently reachable?

Anyway, as a side question, why do you need public trackers? They are not only useless (thanks to DHT+PEX) but also harmful.

Kind regards

Sorry forgot to include server info in original post but due to probationary period I couldn't edit it right away.  The issues are only there when I am connecting from USA servers, if I switch to anywhere but the USA the problem goes away.  Even with DHT there was no traffic passing through, couldn't connect to a single peer...with any torrent.  And I always use magnet links but just posted the tracker info that is inevitably there as possible relavent info.  Thanks for the response.

I can confirm this is still an issue.. All the typical piratebay trackers were blocked tonight from Manassas, Virginia. However, I could connect to netherlands and at least get the peers, then I reconnected to USA to finish.. Not optimal, but it works.

#45 NaDre

NaDre

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

I recently learned on a forum at a private tracker site that I belong that that tracker blocks Tor exit nodes from their IRC service. And one of the Canadian servers (I do not know which one) is apparently a Tor exit node.

I wonder if there is any chance that the operators of the TPB-related trackers don't like Tor, and the affected servers are being used as Tor exit nodes. This is just a speculation. I have no idea how to check this. I know very little about Tor.

UPDATE:

I saw on the IRC at Feral Hosting today that they are also being blocked by OpenBittorrent et al. So the Tor idea is probably a red herring.

They have sent E-mails and gotten no response.

#46 neverfox

neverfox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I'm getting the following message for all my torrents in Deluge on Linux (connected to either Heze or Persei), which just started happening today and results in No Incoming Connections. Everything was working wonderfully before now:

openbittorrent.com: Warning: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (udp://tracker.ccc.de:80) warning: the tracker only resolves to an IPv6  address, and you're listening on an IPv4 socket. This may prevent you from receiving incoming connections.

Is this related to the problems discussed here?

#47 neverfox

neverfox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

It just turns out that my forward port doesn't work anymore and I had to create a new one. I'll address that elsewhere as a different issue. But I'm still getting the above message and those torrents aren't functioning.

#48 neverfox

neverfox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

My particular issue seems to have resolved itself. The torrents started back up without errors on their own after a while.

#49 ZPKZ

ZPKZ

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

I just get "Connecting to peers" for hours from Ophiuchi.

Nothing happens. Peer exchange and all that enabled. Worked a week ago :(

Edited by ZPKZ, 14 October 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#50 Saint666

Saint666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

Heze wont connect to Peer's for me.   

torrenting is the only reason i keep a vpn.

#51 ZPKZ

ZPKZ

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

No issues at all with the new servers :)

#52 DrPunkmonkey

DrPunkmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm having the same issue with supposed private trackers (torrents.emporium.me) as well. I also can't find an acceptable port to forward through AirVPN, they are all denied no matter which server I use or which random port I choose.

#53 go558a83nk

go558a83nk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:21 PM

just went to download a torrent and ran into some problems for the first time using qbittorrent on Mint 18.

First I tried Rasalgethi, then Pollux.  On both no DHT nodes were available.

I connected to a Toronto server and there were plenty.

I hope this doesn't become the norm for USA servers.