Not connected, Your IP: 44.222.231.51
Sign in to follow this  
spaceboy

DNS server is sometimes different than entry/exit server

Most of the time when I use the ipleak and dnsleak test sites, the ip and the dns address will be just a couple of numbers off, such as 114 and 116.  But occasionally, the dns ip will be totally different and in a different country than the exit ip.

Right now, my entry/exit ip is coming from Switzerland, and the dns is coming from Germany, Open Dns, LLC.  The address is not one that I use for my normal lan connection, but I do have open-dns addresses in there.  It's just not a match for the one showing up on the test sites.

Is this a leak or fouled setting of some kind, or is it normal for airvpn to use various dns servers like that? 

I have Comodo and have just finished setting up all of the rules according to the guide here.

Any help is appreciated.  I'm going to try a different airvpn server and see if the numbers go back to normal.

I just logged on again via Switzerland and now the IP's seem normal.  Ipleak reports both addys as 46.19.137.116, and dnsleaktest also reports the same.  Strange.

Just to clarify, I still need help understanding this.  I guess the best way to put the question is:  Should my exit IP (46.19.137.116 for Switzerland) always be the same as the DNS?  Is there ever a legitimate reason for the DNS to be different than the exit ip? 

Just to clarify, I still need help understanding this.  I guess the best way to put the question is:  Should my exit IP (46.19.137.116 for Switzerland) always be the same as the DNS?  Is there ever a legitimate reason for the DNS to be different than the exit ip? 

Hello!

Yes, except under extraordinary circumstances (DNS not working properly, therefore backup DNS showing up).

Kind regards

Hello!

Yes, except under extraordinary circumstances (DNS not working properly, therefore backup DNS showing up).

Kind regards

Ok, thanks.  Is there a list of your backup dns's so if one comes up again I can verify that it is legitimate?