Photo

ISP Throttling VPN?

ISP throttling speed

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Does your ISP Throttle VPN (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you experience slowdowns using AirVPN

1. No, only minor slowdown consistent with encryption overhead (32 votes [39.51%])

Percentage of vote: 39.51%

2. Somewhat, but speeds are still good and I am not concerned (12 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. Yes, but it coould be a problem with my configuration (14 votes [17.28%])

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

4. Absolutely, I've tried everything and it must be throttling (23 votes [28.40%])

Percentage of vote: 28.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 madrat

madrat

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:36 AM

I'm seriously not very knowledgeable about this stuff, however, using a Vancouver server and several different protocol settings, the best I could do was 3 Mbit/s. After switching to a California server, it immediately went up to 10 Mbit/s. Of course I have no idea at all why that is. Latency for both was around 40 ms. The final test I did on Vancouver was "automatic" protocol setting. I left it on that setting for the California server test.

I'm finding all this speed testing very interesting. I assume a lot changes from day to day. Today, the USA server I got 10 Mbit's on yesterday, today I get 3 Mbit's. Switching back to a Vancouver server, today I got 11 Mbit's whereas yesterday I got 3 Mbit's. The latency for both was about the same today as yesterday - between 35 & 45 ms. Does this happen to most users or have I possibly set up Eddie improperly?