Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.139.50
Sign in to follow this  
Stack of computer parts

Audio clipping with VPN on

I recently tossed my old soundblaster xfi card and started using my Nvidia gpu onboard audio instead(I use HDMI to my TV). This was to fix an error that the outdated soublaster card was causing the CPU usage in games and movies to spike to 100 percent. Now with the nvidia gpu audio my usage stays at 10 percent max.

However, now when I am using the VPN and bittorrent(stock client) there is a persistent audio clipping/distortion when watching movies(not games). It doesnt go away by turning off bittorrent. It only stops when I close the vpn. What should I look into to try and fix this? Its bugging the crap out of me.

Im using Win7, Netgear gigabit network card, Nividia gtx560ti(nvidia onboard audio), AMD 3000+

I recently switched from my obsolete soundblaster xfi card to my nvidia gtx560ti onboard audio. I have the audio going via hdmi to my tv and then optical from the tv to the reciever(straight passthrough). Now, when the vpn is on there is a persistent crackling/distortion in the video audio when watching movies or shows. This doesnt happen in games. What should I look into to stop this? Its very annoying.

Im using Win7, nvidia gtx560ti, netgear gigabit network card, on an amd 3000+. To my knowledge everything is up to date driver wise. There never seems to be high cpu usage.

I recently tossed my old soundblaster xfi card and started using my Nvidia gpu onboard audio instead(I use HDMI to my TV). This was to fix an error that the outdated soublaster card was causing the CPU usage in games and movies to spike to 100 percent. Now with the nvidia gpu audio my usage stays at 10 percent max.

However, now when I am using the VPN and bittorrent(stock client) there is a persistent audio clipping/distortion when watching movies(not games). It doesnt go away by turning off bittorrent. It only stops when I close the vpn. What should I look into to try and fix this? Its bugging the crap out of me.

Im using Win7, Netgear gigabit network card, Nividia gtx560ti(nvidia onboard audio), AMD 3000+

Hello!

Very interesting and annoying problem, difficult to say anything for sure.

Do you have Comodo installed? If so, can you please perform a test with all Comodo components in "Disabled" mode? This problem has been reported under similar conditions here:

http://superuser.com/questions/4543/audio-distortion-and-dpc-latency-in-vista-during-network-usage-after-several-hou

One user reported that he/she could solve the problem, unfortunately, only by disabling Comodo. If it's your case it's worth to upgrade to latest Comodo version and if the problem persists and the culprit is Comodo you might like to report to Comodo community this important problem.

If you don't have Comodo installed, please see here to get some hints:

http://superuser.com/questions/202254/how-do-i-get-to-the-root-cause-of-high-deferred-procedure-calls/247713#247713

The above research pertains essentially to Windows Vista, but it is probably applicable to Windows 7 as well.

Finally, the AMD Athlon 3000+ does not have internal AES encryption/decryption (our OpenVPN data channel cipher is AES-256) so if you have high bandwidth (beyond 20 Mbit/s) on the fly encryption/decryption could cause highly deferred procedure calls which in turn perhaps cause the problem you detect.

Please feel free to keep us informed.

Kind regards