Not connected, Your IP: 34.227.191.136
Baraka

AirVPN Tomato configuration step-by-step guide

Hey I'm a little lost with the guide as my setup is an asus ac66u running the latest Merlin firmware.

My confusion is the cert and RSA private key's.

First, do I enter the keys in certificate authority in this format?

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

aksdfkladsj get the point alkdfja

adkfjaldkfjlasdkjflasdkjflkasdjflks

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

akdljfklasdf get the point laksdjf

adlskfjalsdkfjsdklafjalsfjlksdjsflkd

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

or both keys under one set of certificate begin and end?

Secondly.

The only boxes I have for RSA private key are these..

static key

certificate authority 

server certificate

server key

difffe hellman parameters

not sure where to put this key .. I've tried every box and without it at all, turned on the VPN client with no success.. just turns off again and my log returns this ....

Jul  5 19:12:59 notify_rc : start_vpnclient1
Jul  5 19:12:59 openvpn[960]: Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)
Jul  5 19:12:59 openvpn[960]: Use --help for more information

Feel like I'm overlooking something or just misreading the instructions.

EDIT:  Sorry for this post, I actually did overlook something.  I was working under SERVER instead of CLIENT settings.  The RT-AC66U has by default a VPN Server, but after flashing a custom firmware "Merlin" it gave the option for Server AND Client, of which I didn't select client and hence the reason why I was getting a Certificate Authority Error.   Sorry folks, Complete Newbie here

P.S. The guide works great and helped me acheive my VPN connection through my rt-ac66u and I highly recommend it.  Please send a message to me if anyone has problems with setting up your RT-AC66U router and I'll do my best to help, again please disregard my earlier post before edit, as it's a little misleading.     AirVPN is amazing!

Hi on part 4 of the guide it says " After downloading, text edit the file and look for your IP, again noting it (near the top after "remote")"

I text edited all 4 files produced,  and looked everywhere for remote,  but can not see any IP address noted ?

Any other way to get the IP address,  can I not just see the address via the client area and jot down the IP connected and I assume its the IP of the VPN connected server ?

Thanks

@Royee

You need to have "Resolved hosts" in the Configuration Generator, anyway never mind, just feel free to ask us for entry-IP addresses (but not on the forum).

Kind regards

thanks for the info,  sadly I followed the instructions on here and downloaded this firmware as pointed out on page 1

" filename of tomato-K26-1.28.7501MIPSR2Toastman-RT-VPN.trx"

this firmware bricked my Asus router,  I have tried reflashing it to original firmware and others but no joy when I try to access 192.168.1.1 it attempts to load but just attempts to but nothing shows,  yet it shows password and tomatoe router found,   please be careful with the firmware you use after several hours of digging around the net I found this article:

http://patricksheedy.net/blog/simple-tomato-firmware-install-on-asus-rt-n16-router/

http://www.nextgendigitalhome.com/1993/home-network/scalable-gateway/installing-tomato-firmware-on-the-asus-rt-n16-router/

they confirm you need this type:   Kernel 2.6 (experimental) for MIPSR2 Routers – Ext version firmware

I will try again tommorow since been trying to do this for a whole day with no joy !

If you're using the RT-N16 and ONLY the RT-N16, flash this version: tomato-K26USB-1.28.7502.8MIPSR2Toastman-RT-VPN.trx

Otherwise use the latest RT-N build which contains USB, MIPSR2 and VPN in the filename.

Thanks I will give it a try with that filename.  My issue is I think I set the configuration of the router incorrect,  and now can no longer pull up the router login page,  it attempt to access it but just does not show any config/settings info.

I noticed even when flashing with other firmware like the original Asus one it brings back the wireless,  and normal default admin/admin login details,  but soon as I try 'any' tomato type firmware it still remembers my changed password.

There must be a way to reset the configuration or default the router,  so I can pull the router login page and get full access to the router again....

I will spend today trying to figure it out in hopes to not have bricked a great looking router !

From a command prompt after picking a static IP, such as 192.168.1.10:

telnet 192.168.1.1

erase nvram

reboot

That should restore the default settings. If it doesn't then you have to restore the default config with a full nvram wipe. The option is available in the admin settings in all firmware.

Also remember to make sure that the only networking cable plugged into the router when playing with the firmware is your computer hooked up to the router. Other than that and the power cable, nothing else should be connected to the router.

Tried the above,  installed telnet since under win7

tried the commands of telnet 192.168.1.1 but no joy it does not see anything,   I pinged 192.168.1.1 and it pings successfully however.

I can also once using a  static ip as you suggested bring up the router login username/password prompt,  but after loging in it is still the same says on top of browser Asus login but blank white page.  Tried on 2 other browsers as well.  I tried to revert back to stock asus firmware but same error of nothing being displayed on router login page.  Tried multiple names ie Root/admin or admin/admin it still accepts them but is white blank page

I tried the 30 sec wps/red button Reset Nvram trick and I believe it may have cleared the settings since my wireless light popped up once defaulted but same error as before.

I have googled and only a few people have the same issue of Asus router login page not being displayed....

Seems people are discussing using static ips (which I did before flashing and after)  also tried no static and dhcp (auto) 

I am considering flashing it with the DDWRT firmware see if that shows a login at least!

Ok figured it out after spending 2 days attempting everything including the kitchen sink,  turned out to be a bad LAN driver.  Installed an up to date driver via windows 7 updates and volla,  can now access the Asus router with any firmware on it,  that was a close one indeed !

Now to finally try and set up my connection,  I noticed on the tomato config there is a chance to enter 2 openVPN clients,  can I enter in 2 AirVPN servers in here and then flick between either one when required ?

Ok need some help please,  have reached the very last part (part 6) but still not connecting through the Asus tomato router.

I can surf fine with airvpn client with it off from my tomatoe router in windows btw.

Part 6 mentions:

<ca> and <cert>,  but I do not see any mention of those words in any of my files,  I have opened the ovpn files (2 of them),  ca.cert,  user.cert,  user.key and none of them mention CA or Cert ?  Either way I assumed perhaps wrong and copied and pasted ca.cert into the certificate box and same for user.cert into client certificate box and then user.key into client key,  since it sounded like those were the ones mentioned ?

I may have got that wrong.... so needs clarifying.

Also the guide does not mention what the Port number is off the server,  I got my entry server IP from AirVPN directly and added it under Basic but the port number I assume is the TCP or UDP port I chose?   I created 2 ovpn files also,  perhaps I put the wrong server port number.

Just those 2 points need a bit of scarification....

I noticed on the tomato config there is a chance to enter 2 openVPN clients,  can I enter in 2 AirVPN servers in here and then flick between either one when required ?

Yes. That's the quickest way. Although it's not too tough to put in another IP if you want to switch servers.

Also the guide does not mention what the Port number is off the server,  I got my entry server IP from AirVPN directly and added it under Basic but the port number I assume is the TCP or UDP port I chose?   I created 2 ovpn files also,  perhaps I put the wrong server port number.

Choose the advanced options. Then you can specify UDP and the port. UDP is definitely recommended, especially if you want to run Tor over the VPN.

Part 6 mentions:

<ca> and <cert>,  but I do not see any mention of those words in any of my files

Please follow the link from the Tomato setup page to my original instructions. The mention of CA and CERT really confused me too when I first got started with VPNs. You really just need one file which contains everything inside it. Then you can text edit it and copy the certificate authority (CA), client certificate (CERT) and client/private key (KEY) directly into your router config. Not too hard, but I don't see any other easier way of doing it. The good thing is once you have them properly copied into your config, you don't need to copy them again because they're not likely to change. Also see this:

Everything between should be copied and pasted into the Certificate Authority box. Everything between should NOT be copied. Instead, you should just copy the actual certificate which starts with "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" and finishes with "-----END CERTIFICATE-----". Include both in the Client Certificate text box. Lastly, everything between should be copied into the Client Key box. If you have a Static Key box, ignore it and it'll disappear after you save your settings and startup your VPN.

Hello,

you can generate split files by clicking on "Advanced Mode" and ticking "Separate certs/key from .ovpn files". By default the generator creates .ovpn files embedded with certificates and key.

Kind regards

Just wanted to say thanks to Baraka for the awesome guide,  I noticed a few other guides around the net but they were more specific for other companies etc and thanks to VPN staff.

Gone from throwing a bricked Asus Router in the bin to being able to flick between 2 servers

Yes the CA and CERT and what exactly to copy threw me off also,  everything in CA and Key is fine to copy and paste but in the cert,  I forgot to delete the top lines,  so remember all when copying Cert file it should start with -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and end in -----END CERTIFICATE-----,  in fact all 3 boxes should look the same and have begin and end.

That is perhaps the only thing I feel the guide could be improved upon,  if there was a 3rd screen cap showing the "keys" part,  and an example of what it looks like with an arrow saying : 

Certificate Authority Box copy and paste all ca.crt contents

Client Certificate box copy and paste user.crt contents (but delete top part so it begins with  -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and ends in -----END CERTIFICATE-----)

Client Key Box copy and paste all user.key contents

I can try my dodgy paint shop skills if you want ?

Still that part is quite tricky at the beginning,  once its all done and setup its fine.

Performance is solid and good,  although I noticed to start and stop a server sometimes it does not work and I have to start and stop again and wait 30 secs then it kicks in.  Still I will not be switching that much and its a minor thing,  perhaps I just have to wait a minute or 2 next time ill try.

Other then that very happy and pleased !  and best of all I can confirm the Asus Tomato Router works fine with all types of Broadband be it ADSL or Cable broadband Modems!

Well after 3 days of bliss and nice smooth running I switched on my pc today and no internet access at all,  only airvpn website was loading and reporting not connected to any client or running. 

Checked Router and was clueless for the whole day,  I did not change or install or do anything in the last 3 days and it was working the night before.

I only now after about 10 hours of trying other airvpn servers in europe/italy etc and Start/stop figured it all out !

I just deleted the AirVPN 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 DNS servers in my tomato router and switched them to OpenNic (closest servers to me) and it then started to surf all websites and then connect to a airvpn server/ip leak passed as well,   I was attempting to use AirVPN DNS servers in the router to prevent DNS server leaks which was working fine for past 3 days.

But looks like am forced to use OpenNic just to connect to AirVPN server and surf the next properly !

Did AirVPN have DNS issues today with there own servers or any idea ?

hey hello, today i am updating, and recofigurate and check al settings in my router.

and i found out today, that airvpn has is own dns server:D

because the high number of manipulated dns requests today, i was wondering if the airvpn dns server make use of the dnssec to block fake spoofed dns request.

sorry if it is a stupid question, but i could not find any thing related to this on the website here.

Regarding why I had issues using AirVPN dns servers:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9898-problem-connection-while-using-10401-and-10501-dns-entries/

It appears with tomatoe routers you need to use OpenNic servers to connect to the internet websites correctly,  since AirVPN dns servers are private and not public,   so just like this guide says you can use public openic servers instead.

Am back on OpenNic logless servers listed here:

http://wiki.opennicproject.org/Tier2

Update:

If anyone wants to prevent internet connection just in case there VPN service stops or crashes check my guide here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9920-airvpn-with-tomato-shibby-router/?p=12098

It works just perfect and takes 3 minutes to check and do,  now I can surf with peace of mind everything goes through and with privacy with AirVPN connection only on my Tomato router.

And to note the AirVPN connection has never gone down on my router anyhow since it started (1month+),  shows you how stable AirVPN can be but if your concerned follow the above link/guide !

After the iptable rules are applied and reboot is performed  ASUS RT-NT16 Tomato version 1.28 will change its date to December 31 and VPN client will not work anymore.

A small script written by me can change all that if Staff will approve of it. It works. HERE YOU have it IF NEEDED:

COPY/PASTE THE SCRIPT IN ROUTER'S GUI UNDER Tools->System Commands->EXECUTE

CHANGE THE VARIABLES AS MENTIONED............ENJOY!!!

-------------------------------------------------start---------------------------------------------------------------------------

echo "###############System GUI BusyBox Script to change date on Tomato Routers version 1.28####################"
echo "###TESTED on ASUS RT-N16 Tomato firmware->Tomato Firmware v1.28.9054 MIPSR2-beta K26 USB vpn3.6###"
echo "###Change ONLY the following variables-> newyear newmonth newday newday newhh newmm newss###"
echo "###to your own timezone###"
#variables need to be set to own timezone
newyear=2013
newmonth=09
newday=23
newhh=5
newmm=02
newss=00
#End of change variables#
#change presentyear if presentyear=2014 accordingly
presentyear=2013
#don't change the newsetdate
newsetdate=`date -s $newyear.$newmonth.$newday-$newhh:$newmm:$newss`

#ryear=1969
#days of week vars
d1="Mon"
d2="Tue"
d3="Wed"
d4="Thu"
d5="Fri"
d6="Sat"
d7="Sun"
#months of year
m1="Jan"
m2="Feb"
m3="Mar"
m4="Apr"
m5="May"
m6="Jun"
m7="Jul"
m8="Aug"
m9="Sep"
m10="Oct"
m11="Nov"
m12="Dec"
#reset day don't change
rday=31
echo "###Tomato Router sometimes will reset the date to: $m12 $rday. resulting in error=certificate is not yet valid:"
echo "###VPN client will NOT work anymore. Therefore the date needs to be reset to current time/timezone."
currenty=`date | cut -c25-30`
currentm=`date | cut -c5-7`
currentd=`date | cut -c9-10`
cd=`date | cut -c1-3`
chhmmss=`date | cut -c12-19`
#more date details
echo Tomato Router Date Details:
echo "-------------------------------------------"
#check year
if [ $currenty -gt $presentyear ]
then
echo Current year is : IN THE FUTURE 
elif [ $currenty -lt $presentyear ]
then
echo Current year is: IN THE PAST
else
echo Current year is: $currenty 
fi
#check month -don't change
if [ $currentm == $m1 ] 
then
echo Current month is: $m1
elif [ $currentm == $m2 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m2
elif [ $currentm == $m3 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m3
elif [ $currentm == $m4 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m4
elif [ $currentm == $m5 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m5
elif [ $currentm == $m6 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m6
elif [ $currentm == $m7 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m7
elif [ $currentm == $m8 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m8
elif [ $currentm == $m9 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m9
elif [ $currentm == $m10 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m10
elif [ $currentm == $m11 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m11
elif [ $currentm == $m12 ]
then
echo Current month is: $m12
else
echo Current month has changed to: $currentm
fi
#check day of the month - don't change
if [ $currentd == $rday ]
then
echo Current day has changed to: $rday
else
echo Current day is: $currentd
fi
#check day of the week
if [ $cd == $d1 ] 
then
echo Current Day of the week is: $d1
elif [ $cd == $d2 ]
then
echo Current Day of the week is: $d2
elif [ $currentm == $d3 ]
then
echo Current Day of the week is: $d3
elif [ $cd == $d4 ]
then
echo Day of the week is: $d4
elif [ $cd == $d5 ]
then
echo Current Day of the week is: $d5
elif [ $cd == $d6 ]
then
echo Current Day of the week is: $d6
elif [ $cd == $d7 ]
then
echo Current Day of the week is: $d7
else
echo Day of the week changed to: $cd
fi
echo "Current time is: $chhmmss hh:mm:ss"
#new date validation/apply -don't change
if [ "$newsetdate" != " " ]
then
echo New DATE settings APPLIED: $newsetdate
else
echo New DATE settings NOT applied!
fi
echo "###TESTED on ASUS RT-N16 Tomato firmware->Tomato Firmware v1.28.9054 MIPSR2-beta K26 USB vpn3.6###"
echo "###############System GUI BusyBox Script to change date on Tomato Routers version 1.28####################"
-----------------------------------------------end------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

echo "---===COPY/PASTE WHOLE SCRIPT/TEXT IN TOMATO ROUTER GUI->Tools->System->click Execute===---"

c=`/bin/busybox --help |head -2|tail -1 |cut -c1-14`

vtop=`/bin/busybox --help | head -1`

echo "###############System GUI BusyBox 1.17.x Script####################"

echo "############PURPOSE:Change TIMEZONE on Tomato Routers!############"

echo "Tomato Router Operating System/Details:"

echo "+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++" 

echo "$vtop"

echo "+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++"

echo "###INSTRUCTIONS:Change ONLY the following variables-->>newyear newmonth newday newhh newmm newss###"

echo "------>to your own timezone/location<------IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO ALREADY!!!"

#IMPORTANT:variables below need to be set to own timezone/location

newyear=2013

newmonth=09

newday=24

newhh=10

newmm=24

newss=00

#NOTE:ONLY change presentyear below if presentyear shifted (e.g. 2014 2015)

presentyear=2013

echo "###INSTRUCTIONS:AFTER THE variables HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO NEW CURRENT VALUES WE PROCEED-->>"

echo " "

#End of change variables

#the newsetdate -don't change 

#reset year -don't change

ryear=1969

#days of week vars -don't change

d1="Mon"

d2="Tue"

d3="Wed"

d4="Thu"

d5="Fri"

d6="Sat"

d7="Sun"

#months of year vars -don't change

m1="Jan"

m2="Feb"

m3="Mar"

m4="Apr"

m5="May"

m6="Jun"

m7="Jul"

m8="Aug"

m9="Sep"

m10="Oct"

m11="Nov"

m12="Dec"

#reset day -don't change

rday=31

cd=`date | cut -c1-3`

echo "###Tomato Routers sometimes WILL reset the date to: $d3 $m12 $rday $ryear resulting in-->>error=certificate is not yet valid:<<--"

echo "###Due to the above ERROR->VPN client1/client2 will NOT function/work anymore." 

echo "###To make the VPN client1/client2 connect again the date/timezone on the ROUTER needs to be reset to current time/timezone."

#some details

echo "Tomato Router Date Details:"

#check year -don't change

then

echo "Current year is: IN THE FUTURE" 

then

echo "Current year is: IN THE PAST"

else

echo "Current year is: $currenty" 

fi

if [ $currentm == $m1 ] 

then

echo "Current month is: $m1"

then

echo "Current month is: $m2"

then

echo "Current month is: $m3"

then

echo "Current month is: $m4"

then

echo "Current month is: $m5"

then

echo "Current month is: $m6"

then

echo "Current month is: $m7"

then

echo "Current month is: $m8"

then

echo "Current month is: $m9"

then

echo "Current month is: $m10"

then

echo "Current month is: $m11"

then

echo "Current month is: $m12"

else

echo "Current month has changed to: $currentm"

fi

#check day of the month -don't change

then

echo "Current day has changed to: $rday"

else

echo "Current day is: $currentd"

fi

#check day of the week -don't change

if [ $cd == $d1 ] 

then

echo "Current Day of the week is: $d1"

elif [ $cd == $d2 ]

then

echo "Current Day of the week is: $d2"

elif [ $currentm == $d3 ]

then

echo "Current Day of the week is: $d3"

elif [ $cd == $d4 ]

then

echo "Current Day of the week is: $d4"

elif [ $cd == $d5 ]

then

echo "Current Day of the week is: $d5"

elif [ $cd == $d6 ]

then

echo "Current Day of the week is: $d6"

elif [ $cd == $d7 ]

then

echo "Current Day of the week is: $d7"

else

echo "Current Day of the week is: $cd"

fi

#check time/display -don't change

if [ "$chhmmss" != " " ]

then

else

echo "Current time is: NOT DEFINED!"

fi

then

echo "New DATE settings APPLIED: $newsetdate"

else

echo "New DATE settings NOT applied!"

fi

echo "Script $c Flexon :)" 

#---START----OF---TOMATO-ROUTER-EASY-CHANGE-TIMEZONE-SCRIPT---------------
#set the new year for the tomato router 
newyear=2013
#set the new month for the tomato router
newmonth=09
#set the new day for the tomato router
newday=28
#set the new hour for the tomato router
newhh=12
#set the new minute for the tomato router
newmm=41
#set the seconds for the tomato router
newss=00
echo "Tomato Router Operating System/Details:"
echo "++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++"
c=`/bin/busybox --help |head -2|tail -1 |cut -c1-14`
vtop=`/bin/busybox --help | head -1`
echo "$vtop"
echo "++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++"
echo "###INSTRUCTIONS:Change ONLY the following variables-->>newyear newmonth newday newhh newmm newss###"
echo "------>to your own timezone/location<------IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO ALREADY!!!" 
#NOTE:ONLY change presentyear* below if presentyear shifted (e.g. 2014 2015)
presentyear=2013
echo "###INSTRUCTIONS:AFTER THE variables HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO NEW CURRENT VALUES WE PROCEED-->>"
echo " "
#End of change variables
#the newsetdate -don't change 
#reset year -don't change
ryear=1969
#days of week vars -don't change
d1="Mon"
d2="Tue"
d3="Wed"
d4="Thu"
d5="Fri"
d6="Sat"
d7="Sun"
#months of year vars -don't change
m1="Jan"
m2="Feb"
m3="Mar"
m4="Apr"
m5="May"
m6="Jun"
m7="Jul"
m8="Aug"
m9="Sep"
m10="Oct"
m11="Nov"
m12="Dec"
#reset day -don't change
rday=31
cd=`date | cut -c1-3`
echo "###Tomato Routers sometimes WILL reset the date to: $d3 $m12 $rday $ryear resulting in-->>error=certificate is not yet valid:<<--"
echo "###Due to the above ERROR->VPN client1/client2 will NOT function/work anymore." 
echo "###To make the VPN client1/client2 connect again the date/timezone on the ROUTER needs to be reset to current time/timezone."
#some details
echo "Tomato Router Date Details:"
#check year -don't change
then
echo "Current year is: IN THE FUTURE" 
then
echo "Current year is: IN THE PAST"
else
echo "Current year is: $currenty" 
fi
if [ $currentm == $m1 ] 
then
echo "Current month is: $m1"
then
echo "Current month is: $m2"
then
echo "Current month is: $m3"
then
echo "Current month is: $m4"
then
echo "Current month is: $m5"
then
echo "Current month is: $m6"
then
echo "Current month is: $m7"
then
echo "Current month is: $m8"
then
echo "Current month is: $m9"
then
echo "Current month is: $m10"
then
echo "Current month is: $m11"
then
echo "Current month is: $m12"
else
echo "Current month has changed to: $currentm"
fi
#check day of the month -don't change
then
echo "Current day has changed to: $rday"
else
echo "Current day is: $currentd"
fi
#check day of the week -don't change
if [ $cd == $d1 ] 
then
echo "Current Day of the week is: $d1"
elif [ $cd == $d2 ]
then
echo "Current Day of the week is: $d2"
elif [ $cd == $d3 ]
then
echo "Current Day of the week is: $d3"
elif [ $cd == $d4 ]
then
echo "Current Day of the week is: $d4"
elif [ $cd == $d5 ]
then
echo "Current Day of the week is: $d5"
elif [ $cd == $d6 ]
then
echo "Current Day of the week is: $d6"
elif [ $cd == $d7 ]
then
echo "Current Day of the week is: $d7"
else
echo "Current Day of the week is: $cd"
fi
#check time/display -don't change
if [ "$chhmmss" != " " ]
then
else
echo "Current time is: UNKNOWN!"
fi
then
echo "New DATE settings APPLIED: $newsetdate"
else
echo "New DATE settings NOT applied!"
fi
echo "$c Flexon"
#---END----OF---TOMATO-ROUTER-EASY-CHANGE-TIMEZONE-SCRIPT---------------

This should work much better....AND it might work for a dd-wrt firmware though not tested yet.

Question for Asus RT-N16 users,  Its been suggested on here before when using tomato routers and openvpn support the max speeds you will ever get is around 7-8meg download.

Other say this is due to the 480mhz cpu speed or cpu speed of the router holding it back.

Is this true?   I only ask since I may try and get a faster line and am worried if I got say 100meg I will only get 8meg max speeds with my tomato openvpn air setup!

Well, I just configured the RT N16 with tomato, got it working after a while and it's HALF the speed I have compared to the normal client connection.

Not sure what's up..

Well, I just configured the RT N16 with tomato, got it working after a while and it's HALF the speed I have compared to the normal client connection.

Not sure what's up..

Hello,

the CPU processing power of the router can handle approximately a maximum of 8-9 Mbit/s AES-256 throughput with on-the-fly encryption and decryption. Our OpenVPN Data Channel cipher is AES-256-CBC.

Kind regards

Regarding the above,  recently I was considering getting a better bb connection and this 8-9meg limit is what is causing a great problem (didn't take long!)

Now I see why many folk are using pfsense instead of tomato/ddwrt/high end routers.....

Netgear have a new R7000 router which is the most powerful & fastest router currently out there, even has a 1ghz dual core,  its over twice the cpu speed of the Asus RT-N16 (480mhz) and more 2x in dual core,  but even then I was thinking this may in theory only give 16-18meg tops which is still pretty bad.

I am attempting to get a proper answer in regards to R7000 routers speeds under OpenVPN but the DDWRT firmware is buggy and not many people seem to be using VPN clients so I cant get a proper answer as to what speeds one may get !

Either way openvpn is a single core app so speeds will be pretty poor,  I assume it will not be nearly enough really.

Am considering a pfsense diy router build with openvpn as the main use to fix this openvpn bottleneck issue.... but have not yet done so yet.  Need to get some answers on hardware and if openvpn client/pfsense would allow 50meg or 100meg bb connections without the speed loss with vpn !