Not connected, Your IP: 44.212.26.248
Sign in to follow this  
blimpy

How to start OpenVPNGUI on windows startup/how to automatically reconnect to VPN if it disconnects

Can someone please help answer the following. I have minimal computer skills so plain language please

1. How to automatically start OpenVPNGui when my laptop turns on? I used the config files that airvpn generate for you. Its windows 7

2. Once VPN disconnects, how to automatically reconnect?

I currently have a config file generated by airvpn via OpenVPNGui, with Comodo firewall set up to stop leaks(I used the rules from https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142)

Thanks in advance!

Can someone please help answer the following. I have minimal computer skills so plain language please :)

1. How to automatically start OpenVPNGui when my laptop turns on? I used the config files that airvpn generate for you. Its windows 7

Hello!

You can achieve your purpose in the following way:

1) Create a New Shortcut on your Desktop, with the following settings:

Target:

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui-*.exe  --connect "*.ovpn"

where:

*.ovpn is the configuration file of the server you wish to connect to; it is generated by our configuration generator and it must be in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config in a default Win 7 installation

openvpn-gui-*.exe is the name of your OpenVPN GUI, it may vary according to the version you have installed, for example

openvpn-gui-1.0.3.exe

Please note the double quote around the .ovpn configuration file after the --connect option.

Start in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config

2) Click "Advanced" and enable the shortcut to run with administrator privileges.

Disconnect and exit OpenVPN if it's running and double-click your new shortcut to make sure it works.

3) Move or copy the shortcut to the Window 7 Startup directory.

In Win 7 standard installation it is for an individual user:

C:\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

For all users it is:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

2. Once VPN disconnects, how to automatically reconnect?

I currently have a config file generated by airvpn via OpenVPNGui, with Comodo firewall set up to stop leaks(I used the rules from https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=3405&Itemid=142)

Thanks in advance!

This is performed by default by your OpenVPN client according to the configuration.

Kind regards

Thanks admin-worked perfectly!

Only had to add double quotation marks around C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn-gui-*.exe, and also in step 3 my AppData folder was hidden for some reason.

how to have airvpn autoconnect to a server on windows startup , anybody

Hello!

You can do that with OpenVPN GUI (please see previous post on this same thread). You can autostart the Air client as well, but not auto-connect it with the current version. This feature is planned for future Air client releases.

Kind regards

well its very weird i just tried with the generated .ovpn keys and openvpngui wont connect , very weird , airvpn client works a charm thou