Not connected, Your IP: 34.204.3.195
Sign in to follow this  
jdubau55

X86 DD-WRT build

Is anyone using an old desktop to route traffic using the x86 DD-WRT builds? Thinking of doing this in order to get full provider bandwidth behind an OpenVPN connection. Looking for some know how before I go all in. I have an old Dell box that would be a very good candidate.

No experience with dd-wrt on x86, but if you're going the full desktop route, why not use a full Linux distro like Ubuntu server or something?

Might be overkill, I guess, but it'd be a fun experiment!

Haven't thought about that. It might be easier than DD-WRT. I have a 2nd NIC card in the mail so either way I am going to try both. Time is my enemy right now. I guess whichever build is easier to switch servers on would be best. If Ubuntu allows for you to merely point you to the ovpn file to get it's config from it might be easier that copying and pasting all the certs.

Haven't thought about that. It might be easier than DD-WRT. I have a 2nd NIC card in the mail so either way I am going to try both. Time is my enemy right now. I guess whichever build is easier to switch servers on would be best. If Ubuntu allows for you to merely point you to the ovpn file to get it's config from it might be easier that copying and pasting all the certs.

Hello!

Anyway, your key and certificates are unique, the same for every server. Additionally, you can download all the possible configuration files in just one hit with our configuration generator (just select simultaneously all the servers, ports and protocols).

Kind regards

I have my machine up and running. I can get online using the x86 router when plugged in. Haven't been able to connect to VPN yet though. Very novice user here. The instructions on setting up DDWRT looked a little bit different. I had a few extra places to fill in.

vcn, can you let me know what build you are using? The build I am using has a few extra config slots which might be throwing me off.

I have the 06/08/12 build 19342 and it is also slightly different from the AirVPN guide. (BTW I am begging someone to fix that guide to have screenshots that aren't horrible to read.)

Here is a full screenshot of my config:

http://i.imgur.com/k7Xhg.png

I forgot which AirVPN server that 198.15.111.162 IP is but know that that is the place you put your chosen AirVPN server IP.

That looks pretty much exactly like what I have setup and that's the build I am running. I think I am going to try to roll back to the build that works on my E2000. It looks just like the instructions and it connects fine.