• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dw123

dw123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:19 PM

Hi, I just installed Eddie v.2.16.3 on my computer, with Antix Linux v.17.3 (which has no systemd).

There is a menu item in the Internet Applications Menu, to start Eddie. But it does not work.

After configuring Network-Manager for AirVPN, the Eddie GUI appeared. But the menu item still is not functional.

I must start Eddie via a root terminal "eddie-ui".  Then, it runs fine, with icon in task tray, preferences and main window, when asked for, etc. But if I close the terminal window, Eddie stops and the connection is lost.

Edit... The problem is resolved, by editing a system menu. I regret that this was posted... would remove the post, but don't see how.

#2 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7857 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

Hello!

The post is anyway useful, thank you! No reasons to delete, really, but the final choice is yours.

More technical details (including nohup, disown and how to handle properly stdin/stdout/stderr in such cases):

https://superuser.com/questions/178587/how-do-i-detach-a-process-from-terminal-entirely

We would like to add that, in order to detach completely a job from the original shell job list with a complete control and fine tuning, you can simply use GNU Screen, a terminal and terminal emulators multiplexer with a tiny RAM footprint:

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-use-linux-screen/

Kind regards

#3 dw123

dw123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

Thank you for the two links.

In my situation, following initial installation of Eddie, the application menu included a link to: eddie-ui.

I edited the menu to: gksu eddie-ui

(As I understand it, this is similar to su or sudo, but is more limited.)

The edited link does not open a terminal window, but it tells the system to "run eddie as root."

with appreciation for your service...