Photo

Unable to connect to local network over wifi

vpn wifi router raspberry pi android

Best Answer FII3l6H5Un8, 18 January 2019 - 10:18 AM

Solved.

Replaced 'OpenVPN Connect' app with 'OpenVPN for Android' app which has the option 'Bypass VPN for local networks'.

After enabling this option I can finally reach my local network on my phone while using a VPN.

EDIT.

Android has a VPN setting : 'Block connections without VPN'. This must be turned OFF to be able to see the local network while using the VPN.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FII3l6H5Un8

FII3l6H5Un8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

Hello,

I was messing around with a local web page hosted on my raspberry pi for local projects, and using that web page works fine from my pc which has an ethernet cable to my router. However when I try to access the page with my android phone, I cannot connect to the web page. I can also not reach my router admin page from my android device, something that DOES work on my pc...

All three devices: pc, android phone, raspberry pi are running on AirVPN.
The moment I disconnect from the VPN, I can access the admin panel and the website from my phone.

Is there a way to make devices connected via wifi while using the VPN able to access my router / other local machines?

Thanks in advance.

#2 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:55 AM

I assume you use Eddie on all the devices.

It has been noted that Eddie on Android does not create routes to your local IPv4 network.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#3 FII3l6H5Un8

FII3l6H5Un8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

But if it does not create a route to my local IPv4 network, how does it work on my pc? Is it because of a direct connection between my pc and router via an ethernet cable?

Could I create such a route from my android phone to other local devices myself?

#4 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

Your PC does not run Android, so for VPN connections without root (which you usually don't have on stock Android ROMs) you must use certain APIs of the OS. On any of the PC OSs you don't have this limitation.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#5 FII3l6H5Un8

FII3l6H5Un8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:18 AM   Best Answer

Solved.

Replaced 'OpenVPN Connect' app with 'OpenVPN for Android' app which has the option 'Bypass VPN for local networks'.

After enabling this option I can finally reach my local network on my phone while using a VPN.

EDIT.

Android has a VPN setting : 'Block connections without VPN'. This must be turned OFF to be able to see the local network while using the VPN.