Not connected, Your IP: 18.217.228.35
Staff

Eddie Android edition 2.0.1 released

When I try to download an app update in the Google Play Store with Eddie on, the download fails to start.  It just sits there saying "Download Pending."  Now, personally, I think this is Google's problem starting with Android 8.1:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/72484586

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/68657525

and not the specific VPN apps' problem.  But Google denies it.  The following is the text they posted when saying they weren't going to fix the issue:

"When a VPN is up the OS has no way to guarantee that network traffic will go on wifi. The VPN app could decide to send and receive traffic on any available interface, including cell data. Recent changes to the VPN code have made it so that if the VPN calls setUnderlyingNetworks, the networking APIs will reflect some of the properties of the underlying networks (e.g., whether they are metered or not) into the VPN's networkcapabilities. But it's up to the podcast app to use the required APIs, such as isActiveNetworkMetered."

I had this same problem with OpenVPN for Android (which is why I'm trying Eddie for Android):

https://github.com/schwabe/ics-openvpn/issues/851

But, I just thought I'd post here to see if you can track down the problem.

I've been using OpenVPN For Android for a few  years without any issues on all sorts of devices since the S4, the latest being a TAB 6 and S8+ both using Oreo. I can't see how  it is an Android or Google problem?

Edited: I did it again I wrote 'an Air or Google problem' originally . Never mind   

I sign nothing, much

Still getting older....

I assume the option to run Eddie for Android with another provider or ovpn file isn't yet present:

https://airvpn.org/topic/19909-eddie-with-other-providers-or-custom-openvpn-configuration-files/

Still no reply to the above.

Hello!

This thread is reserved to Eddie Android edition. Eddie Android edition accepts ovpn profiles (of any VPN provider, of course) since its birth. An Eddie Android edition without this option has NEVER existed.

Kind regards

It would have been nice to hear this when I asked a similar question in the previous versions  topic.

This aspect of no LAN access should surely be pointed out somewhere prominently, unless I am missing something somewhere of course.

Kind Regards

Hello!

Already answered, please read https://airvpn.org/topic/30935-eddie-android-edition-201-released/page-2?do=findComment&comment=80787

Kind regards

I assume the option to run Eddie for Android with another provider or ovpn file isn't yet present:

https://airvpn.org/topic/19909-eddie-with-other-providers-or-custom-openvpn-configuration-files/

Still no reply to the above.

Hello!

This thread is reserved to Eddie Android edition. Eddie Android edition accepts ovpn profiles (of any VPN provider, of course) since its birth. An Eddie Android edition without this option has NEVER existed.

Kind regards

Where is the option in Eddie for Android?  I don't see anything like the "Preferences -> Advanced -> Multi-provider support" option noted in the link I provided.

EDIT:  Never mind.  It's in a totally different place.  On the main screen, it's the 3rd option ("OpenVPN Profile") in the menu bar across the top.  Sorry.

I notice that using Chromecast doesn’t work while connected with this app. It does however work using the Open VPN Connect app and AirVPN config files. Any way of getting Eddie Android to do the same?

Hello!

LAN access while Eddie is connected is not possible, we're sorry. We have planned LAN access for a near future Eddie release.

Kind regards

Hi staff,

I'm looking forward to seeing this feature - LAN access - implemented in Android Eddie. This is a major issue imho. I was happy to see the many enhancements in the app with V2, I really like it, and it seems less hungry on power. But please, have a look at LAN access or "home network" while running the app. Thank you.

Regards,

ZS

Just discovered this and installed it on my OnePlus 3 as well as my Fire HD10 via google play. Only had a quick test so far but looks like they both work great!

Any chance of an IOS version? I have my wife set up with OpenVPN connect with a couple of profiles at the moment, but your app is so much better.

Just discovered this and installed it on my OnePlus 3 as well as my Fire HD10 via google play. Only had a quick test so far but looks like they both work great!

Any chance of an IOS version? I have my wife set up with OpenVPN connect with a couple of profiles at the moment, but your app is so much better.

Hello and thank you very much for your great feedback!

We're sorry, we do not provide our own software for iOS devices.

Since we release only free and open source software, it is not possible for us to deliver an application for iOS. Apple will not approve any FOSS application because free and open source software is not compliant to Apple policy and philosophy.

Our software is usually released under GPL, a license which grants the right to copy and re-distribute software, a right which is s founding pillar of free and open source software as well as users' freedom in IT in general.

However, Apple forbids their iOS app store customers to copy and re-distribute software.

Furthermore, any software licensed under incompatible terms with Apple store policy is rejected. Limiting users' freedom has been an Apple fundamental choice since a couple of decades ago (and the market has greatly rewarded such a choice) while our mission and vision are definitely incompatible with personal freedom restrictions. Therefore, we don't see an easy solution in the near future, we're terribly sorry.

For a more thorough review of this "situation", please see here:

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement

We are confident that you, your wife, and in general any user who appreciates both iOS and AirVPN, understand that the current lack of choice in this case is caused by Apple, not by us.

Kind regards

We are confident that you, your wife, and in general any user who appreciates both iOS and AirVPN, understand that the current lack of choice in this case is caused by Apple, not by us.

Please forgive a possibly dumb statement, but you do provide a macOS Client on this site. I run it on my Macbook and am perfectly happy with it. Surely there must be a way to upload an iOS client from this site without having to use the iOS app store.

Best regards,

Please forgive a possibly dumb statement, but you do provide a macOS Client on this site. I run it on my Macbook and am perfectly happy with it. Surely there must be a way to upload an iOS client from this site without having to use the iOS app store.

Best regards,

Hello!

Yes, a viable option is delivering an application outside the Apple app store. However it will be usable only and exclusively on jailbroken devices. Situation under Mac is (at least currently) different because with macOS or OS X you have more extensive and fine grain control of your computer, and you can have administrator privileges as well.

Kind regards

Hi,

Application Version: 2.0.1

Could someone please try to change the port or protocol settings within the Android Eddie Client as I seem to change the settings then when trying to connect and it just connects using Port 443 and UDP.

This seems to be a bug for me and I would like to confirm it with someone else.

Thanks.

Hi,

Could someone please try to change the port or protocol settings within the Android Eddie Client as I seem to change the settings then when trying to connect and it just connects using Port 443 and UDP.

Thanks.

Hello!

Unless you connect through imported ovpn files, please make sure you set "Quick connection mode" to "Use custom settings" in the "Settings" view in order to tell Eddie to use exclusively the protocol, port and TLS mode you selected, even when you pick "Quick connect" or a specific server from the list.

Kind regards

Hi,

Thanks.

Hello!

Unless you connect through imported ovpn files, please make sure you set "Quick connection mode" to "Use custom settings" in the "Settings" view in order to tell Eddie to use exclusively the protocol, port and TLS mode you selected, even when you pick "Quick connect" or a specific server from the list.

Kind regards

Thanks for the quick response, I was not aware that option was needed.

It is working now, I would like to make a suggestion to make the option more obvious as it was not the most intuitive user process.

Thanks Again.

I'm still running into my internet tripping the VPN lock, which is really annoying and forcing me to use OpenVPN for Android because VPN locking always trips overnight. There should be an option to disable it, or at least have it try to reconnect more often.

Also there should be a way to save the default connection profile. I have three and the one on mobile is not the default one, so I have to keep reselecting it.

I'm still running into my internet tripping the VPN lock, which is really annoying and forcing me to use OpenVPN for Android because VPN locking always trips overnight. There should be an option to disable it, or at least have it try to reconnect more often.

Hello!

We are considering to implement an opt-out for the lock in version 2.1, which is currently under internal testing. However, when you disable the lock, you WILL have sooner or later traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel, just like you have them with OpenVPN for Android. We will provide in-app clear warnings, if we decide to insert such an unsafe option. You are explicitly asking for a feature which will crumble your anonymity layer in various circumstances, so use it at your own risk.

When OpenVPN enters an unrecoverable error state and quits (for example when communications with the VPN server are lost) OpenVPN for Android will just try to re-connect as soon as possible, causing traffic leaks. On the contrary, Eddie will enter a network "lock state" which blocks any communication indefinitely. In this way you can first shut down applications whose traffic must not leak outside the VPN tunnel, and only then remove the lock and re-connect the device to the VPN.

Also there should be a way to save the default connection profile. I have three and the one on mobile is not the default one, so I have to keep reselecting it.

Yes, we're glad to inform you that this is also planned for version 2.1.

Kind regards

Hello,

I have installed on my Sony Bravia Anroid TV. I can connect to servers without any problem but when I turn off the TV and turn on again, black screen stays around 1 minute and system restarts itself! So, should I change some settings? I like to have my VPN automatically reconnects to last server every time when I turn off and on the TV. Is it possible?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have installed on my Sony Bravia Anroid TV. I can connect to servers without any problem but when I turn off the TV and turn on again, black screen stays around 1 minute and system restarts itself! So, should I change some settings? I like to have my VPN automatically reconnects to last server every time when I turn off and on the TV. Is it possible?

Thanks!

Hello!

Unfortunately this is a known bug affecting all Sony Bravia systems and documented here:

https://github.com/CiNcH83/sony_atv/issues/11

If there is a change in the networking state of the system while being connected to a VPN server via VpnService, a severe system crash happens. An app is never supposed to crash the system, only itself. This might be a severe security threat.

A change in the networking state can for example be provoked by turning off/on the TV. So VPN needs to be disconnected before turning off the TV or else there will be a crash when turning the TV on again.

After years, Sony has not yet fixed it.

Kind regards

Installed on Pixel 3. While on a work wi-fi, the app disconnects and reconnects throughout the day. When using OpenVPN for Android, there is no connection issue. Not sure the reason.

Installed on Pixel 3. While on a work wi-fi, the app disconnects and reconnects throughout the day. When using OpenVPN for Android, there is no connection issue. Not sure the reason.

Hello!

Probably it's just the same, but you don't see the disconnections because OpenVPN for Android tries to reconnect every 2 seconds, while Eddie locks the communications and requires manual intervention. In such cases, OpenVPN for Android can cause traffic leaks outside the tunnel while Eddie will not. In the next Eddie version we will probably add an option to disable best effort leaks prevention and allow leaks similarly to OpenVPN for Android, since it has been widely required. Communication lock will be enabled by default and a user can opt-out only.

However, if you see from the log that Eddie keeps really less stable connections, let us know and let's compare both apps configurations (protocol, port, entry-IP address, IPv6 over IPv4 enabled or disabled, OpenVPN engine (in OpenVPN for Android you can use 2.5 or 3, while Eddie uses directly OpenVPN 3).

Kind regards

Is there an easy way to install air vpn on nvidia shield as I'm struggling with it can anyone advise me please i would be grateful to you Thanks

P