Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.197.212

Hi all,

I've recently changed to a high speed ISP  I now have a fibre connection to the house and router that uses 2.4ghz and the higher speed uses 5 ghz.

I noticed that when connecting to the vpn the connection was constantly dropping on the 5 ghz band. I started changing the protocols and have discovered that the issue only affects UDP, TCP is fine.

I'm wondering if this is expected or why is UDP not playing well with 5ghz.

Thanks

5G is faster, but is more affected by noise/walls and has a smaller range. UDP being connectionless, I suspect that 5G is too noisy in your surroundings or the signal is too weak and too many UDP packets get lost, resulting in your experience.

Connect via cable, if you can. This way your connection is more stable and at a smaller risk of being "listened to". If that is not an option, you can invest in a repeater or a mesh network. Finally, using 2.4G only for now is your best bet in terms of difficulty, time and money.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

If you are running wirelessly your 2.4 will never be able to let you capitalize on the speed of fiber.  Frankly, unless you have very high end and new 5 ghz "nics/routers" for wireless your speeds will be hampered by wireless even on 5, although much much better than 2.4.  I fought with this for awhile and finally was able to go full Cat6 directly to the router.  Smokin compared to wireless, and better from a security standpoint as well.

Hey, thanks for the responses.

So I'm now using a cable (Cat6) as suggested and problem is solved.

I installed an app for my phone called wifiman https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.usurvey&hl=en

Wifiman has a signal strength indicator and I was suprised to see how flimsy 5ghz was, if a cable is not practical then using TCP is a very functional workaround.

On a side note I"ve noticed that some servers are top out at lower speeds than others, I can see around 70Mbs switch server and its almost identical to non tunneled speeds 400Mbs +

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am using a TCP connection on my phone for connecting to 5Ghz.