Not connected, Your IP: 44.199.212.254
Sign in to follow this  
Oblivion 2013

Hosts files and performance

Specs:

8 Core Intel

8 Gigabyte RAM

Both Windows and Linux

I liked using hosts files to block advertisements, and it worked. But hosts files are never meant to block advertisements.

At Windows I actually never changed the hosts files, and it had the maximum performance with the EDDIE client.

However at a Linux client, I just downloaded a small hosts file from a very small thing like someonewhocares or MVPS.

Now look at the things what happened.

With hosts files modified, although very tiny the MVPS or someonewhocares actually is.

Hosts files changed with purpose of blocking advertisements

1 Losing port forwarding no mather if TCP or UDP for software, yes at Windows too ! not only at Linux.

2 From 100 Megabit I had at most 3 Megabit after changing hosts file.

After setting back original hosts file the following happened

1 Stable portforwarding

2 Even over EDDIE it' s using TUN or OpenVPN back to 90 Megabit of my 100 Megabit connection.

My conclusion was that blocking advertisements with a hosts file did had unforeseen consequences.

If you have changed your Hosts file, not Mather if it is Linux or Windows, I suggest you to reset it at provided you have a backup, a hosts file was never meant to block ads.

Instead if you want no ads in your browser, if you use hosts to get rid of ads, this affects your entire network.

In observation, Android for example did not suffer, but Windows and Linux do. I do not understand why.

Upload did not seemed to be affected. I got 3% from 100 Megabit with hosts file change, but undoing hosts file change, Windows 8 systems crawled like even loading the google website in several minutes.

Without modifying hosts file by setting back the original, I cannot explain why, I get 90% of the current 100 Megabit, around 90 Megabit even with EDDIE enabled.

But it is more important that you must understand, if you changed your host file, and complain about losing port forwarding, which I actually wanted to do before I know what caused it, make sure your host file is very tiny, perhaps 5 rules.

Hosts files are never meant to be to block ads, but it works, yes, but you are better off using an ad block in your browser.

Using your hosts file might be the thing you want to use only to what it was meant to do. You can add in your host file a simple domain name pointing to an IP address.

But if you are having any trouble:

1 Losing portforwarding

2 Unexplained low download speed

You probably used to change your HOST file either Windows or Linux, doesn't matter.

This took me several weeks, I really was up to posting goshhhhh EDDIE is so slow, but it is not EDDIE or AIRVPN, it is that HOSTS file is never meant to be to block ads.

Despite that, at Android using and blocking ads with HOSTS file seems to work perfectly, but you know Android is a consuming device. And at android I once imported the HOSTS file of an ANDROID working fine, but Windows 8 / 10 did boot and it had internet but unbelievable.

I would like to know if you have unexplained manifestations of using HOSTS file as an ad block mechanism.

Yes I put back a tiny host file, and I am to the max of my connection, but if you have modified your HOSTS file, please share your findings yourself.

I really thought it was something unknown, but it really was HOSTS, and despite that I only modified HOSTS to include only a small HOSTS file.

No Mather it seems Android is not affected, but Windows and Linux are, another thing is only Download is affected, Upload does not seem to be affected very much, although it is a little affected once you accept that your HOSTS file is never meant to block ads.