Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.243.45
ccr

Feedback + Questions

Hi everyone,

first, I\'d like to applause the admins for providing such an easy, fast and free solution.

I use the OpenVPN client with \"Access without our client\" option and it works like a charm, the performance is great.

Now, two questions :

1. I tried to use the AirVPN client (on Windows 7 x64) with the OpenVPN dependency installed, but it does not start claiming that OpenVPN is not installed. I added openvpn to %PATH% and it works itself properly... So, how the AirVPN client determines if OpenVPN is installed ? Does it search it on a specific path ?

Being unable to use the Air client is not a problem on itself but it prevents me from doing remote port forwarding...

2. I remember choosing my country during the registration process : the \"Access without our client\" option gives me servers in this country. Great.

But what if I want to connect to a server in another country ? I\'m in France and I would like to be able to \"exit\" in Sweden, USA or Iceland for specific needs...

I can\'t find any option to find foreign servers IPs. I guess someone could just give us a list of the servers by country ??

Thank you in advance.

Enjoy your privacy !

CCR / France

OpenVPN client on Windows 7 x64

Dear CCR,

thank you for you nice words.

The client is still in beta testing. The client programmer has taken note of your report and should answer to your question just after the week-end.

About remote port forwarding for users who can\'t or don\'t want to use the client, we will very soon insert an easy web interface, so that you can login and then \"open\" and \"close\" ports on this site and on the fly.

At the moment the free service is limited to the France server. More servers all around the world are planned but they will be available only after we will have proposed our commercial plans, which will go in parallel with the free service, in order to keep the service and its userbase growth sustainable.

We have chosen to offer first a free service, which will remain in the future, because our main concern is to fight censorship, preserve Net Neutrality and improve privacy according to a real \"implementation\" of the EU Directives on data protection (95/46/EC) and on privacy and electronic communications (2002/58/EC).

Kind regards,

Paolo

Hi Paolo, thanks for the quick and detailed answers.

I guess my Air client problem is just related to the 64-bit version of windows.

I want to be more precise about the bug : your client looks for openvpn on %PATH% variables, but on WinX64, openvpn installs itself in %programfiles(x86)% rather than %programfiles%. The client exception is \"illegal characters in path\", probably the \"(\" and \")\" ???

Anyway, using 64 bit versions of Windows opens some other problems related to openvpn, not to your client. For exemple, the TAP virtual NIC driver bundled into the community version of OpenVPN is not signed, making the adapter deactivated for \"security reasons\". I had to deactivate driver signing, but later I found a better solution : using the commercial, \"access server\" version of the OpenVPN client, which provides a signed TAP adapter driver...

I\'m very curious to see the evolution of your service... If you are interested, I\'m ready to do testing - bug reports, documentation, translations, user support... Everything I can do to help.

PS : why did you choose France for your first (free) server ? We are not the best country when network neutrality and privacy are the primary concerns I saw your server was hosted @OVH ??

This problem is not limited to 64bit. I\'m using Windows XP Pro 32 bit and have exactly the same problem. OpenVPN is installed using the default choice of C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN. I launch AirVPN.exe and get \"Illegal characters in path. OK then I get \"OpenVPN are required but is not installed\".

Do I have to put OpenVPN\\bin in the system path?

Access without client works fine...and I have a hughes.net satellite connection which doesn\'t especially like https://

This is very clean, both the site and the software :-)

Hello there,

I\'m a user here in Japan that uses your VPN service here and I really love it, because I can browse any site without blocking with our university\'s firewall.

Now the thing is, I got lots of error today:

- tls

- connection time out

- connection reset

This happens in random manner. Oh yeah.. I got 2000-3000ms latency on your server.. i think that is bad enough.

Is the VPN server overloaded that bad? Thank you.

akari212 wrote:

Hello there,

I\'m a user here in Japan that uses your VPN service here and I really love it, because I can browse any site without blocking with our university\'s firewall.

Now the thing is, I got lots of error today:

- tls

- connection time out

- connection reset

This happens in random manner. Oh yeah.. I got 2000-3000ms latency on your server.. i think that is bad enough.

Is the VPN server overloaded that bad? Thank you.

Dear Akari212,

the VPN server for the beta testing is still under-capacity (you still have a minimum allocated bandwidth of 20 Mbit/s, both up and down, in the worst case scenario). In addition to that, no malfunctions in the VPN has been detected. Please note that we have testers from within Europe, USA and some Asian countries, but none from Japan.

We suspect it could be a momentary problem from your university lines. Please feel free to keep us informed about the issue. Thank you!

Kind regards,

AirVPN admins

Hello Admin!

I\'m a new member of this site and all i can say is I\'m impressed. I\'m from the Philippines and not new to open vpn-based tunnel yet your service surprised me a lot. Im using no dependencies, just your service without any client (will try it for sure) and i can surf freely to almost all sites and more of it, like a premium user as compared to other free-vpn services (lots of crippling limits). i understand that time will come and you will need to upgrade your services because of increasing demands from users so as early as now i would like to give my gratitude in pair with hopes that your service will continue in future as best as it is now

Thank you for your kind words, it\'s great to hear that the service meets high expectations and requirements. We can ensure to you our continued commitment to maintaining high quality and performance.

Kind regards.

Hello again admin!

i just want to ask if there are limits to us, beta users, such as bandwidth quota/month or maximum bandwidth limit, maximum usage per day or the kind of trial accounts that can be used for let\'s say 7 days? im just wondering now, since i frequently use your vpn service?

aisan wrote:

Hello again admin!

i just want to ask if there are limits to us, beta users, such as bandwidth quota/month or maximum bandwidth limit, maximum usage per day or the kind of trial accounts that can be used for let\'s say 7 days? im just wondering now, since i frequently use your vpn service?

Hello,

no, at the moment there are no limits for all of you.

Kind regards

hi,

I\'m from Philippines. Your vpn service is very good even though im just a trial user,it allows me to download and surf the internet securely and without limits. And the speed is remarkable. The only thing that\'s bothering me is the client, i cant seem to make it work. but as to the the quality of service, Airvpn is great. thank you..

@tissueboy

Thank you very much for your feedback and your nice words. Could you please specify, with as many details as possible, the issues you are experiencing with the client? Although AirVPN is perfectly and fully usable without the client (port forwarding included), we are working to improve the client and any full description of bugs would be very useful.

Kind regards

AirVPN admins

Hello,

I would like to thank you for providing this service and for your efforts. I hope in some way all the users who use the system can contribute to make it successful. I wanted to share a few things which helped me getting this to work. If you download the latest openvpn beta software, your client will not work. It gives an error \"invalid characters in string.\" and then exits. But with Open VPN 2.1.1 there is no problem and your client works.

I also noticed that the zip file generated by \"Access without our client\" is always corrupt for some reason and cannot be opened\". I was hoping to test it but I was unable to because it is always corrupt.

I hope the above is useful for new users.

Thank you

Regards

When I try to use the client I get \"Illegal characters in path\" and then \"OpenVPN are required but is not installed\". I can access fine without the client though. This is with OpenVPN 2.1.3.

@hashim

@hypnos

Thank you! The issue about Air.zip has been fixed (previously you had to use 7-Zip or similar software to unpack the archive, now you can do it even with Windows or Mac OSX default decompressor).

We are looking into client issues reported.

Kind regards,

AirVPN admins

Hello! On the topic of client issues, when I try to disconnect the client it seems to hang (I am running W7 x86). Last night I waited 5 minutes while the client reported it was disconnecting (but not responding) and in the end I just killed the process. Anyway, I think the VPN still thinks i\'m connected as when I try to connect again via the client (on a different computer) it tells me i\'m already connected and when I try to connect without the client via OpenVPN it reports that that connecting has failed and that all TAP-WIN32 adapters on the system are in use.

When I was connected, however, the speeds and ping were very good though!

@Buffo

Thank you for your report. We are going to inquire about client hanging under certain Windows configurations.

In case of abnormal disconnection, the server will anyway release the connection after a few minutes time-out. Please check if the problem depends on your system, since the message \"all TAP-WIN32 adapters on the system are in use\" might point to a crash of virtual network adapter in your Win7 system (quickest solution is a reboot). Did you remember to kill also the OpenVPN process when you killed the AirVPN client? If you did not, probably you were still connected, and this would explain the \"already connected\" message from our server.

Kind regards

AirVPN admins

Hi, i\'m afraid that i\'m still having this problem. Using OpenVPN on two different pcs on the same home network, I can only connect to AirVPN on one pc but never the other. I can connect and disconnect fine on my first pc (the pc that I used initially to connect to AirVPN), but when I try to connect with the second pc I get the error that all TAP-WIN32 adapters on the system are in use (even though i\'m not connected on my first pc). I\'ve tried rebooting my pcs, rebooting my router, leaving it a day or so, but I still can\'t connect using my second pc.

I know that service this is still beta so I thought that this feedback might help. Can anyone replicate this problem?

Yeah! Because of perfect dl/ul speeds and connecting seemlesly with Linux, actually I\'m looking for your paid service.

Kind regards...

im just new to AirVPN but im bothered when i visited my user statistic page which you can see your sessions. what does it mean Last Completed Session (50 max)? Does it mean we have only maximum of 50 sessions?

tnx for the great service! actually, im NOT looking for your paid service. :-)

Godbless!

kirashin_zala wrote:

im just new to AirVPN but im bothered when i visited my user statistic page which you can see your sessions. what does it mean Last Completed Session (50 max)? Does it mean we have only maximum of 50 sessions?

Hello! It means that you can only have statistics about your last 50 sessions. Older statistics are deleted.

Kind regards,

AirVPN admins

Hello

I am using AirVPN with the OpenVPN Client in the UK.

It works like a charm for me, but sometimes I got pings like 200 ms - 400 ms.

My Internet Connection allows 100 MB/s downstream and around 40 MB/s upstream, though my question is how can I improove my speed and my pings?

Somehow the normal AirVPN Client does not work for me.

Is the speed related to the AirVPN client or does it not matter whether I use OpenVPN with Config File or the AirVPN Client?

Keep up the good work

Bane326 wrote:

Hello

I am using AirVPN with the OpenVPN Client in the UK.

It works like a charm for me, but sometimes I got pings like 200 ms - 400 ms.

My Internet Connection allows 100 MB/s downstream and around 40 MB/s upstream, though my question is how can I improove my speed and my pings?

Somehow the normal AirVPN Client does not work for me.

Is the speed related to the AirVPN client or does it not matter whether I use OpenVPN with Config File or the AirVPN Client?

Keep up the good work ;)

Hello!

There is no difference in performance. AirVPN is a friendly interface and runs OpenVPN client which is the only software responsible for the effective connection with one of our OpenVPN servers. Please keep in mind that at the moment, during this final-beta testing, we are able to give a minimum allocated bandwidth of approx. 20 Mbit/s (up AND down) per user. You might experience faster speeds on certain hours when there are less connections or when majority of the connections come from \"common\" ADSL, theoretically capable of 4-8 Mbit/s peak.

Please note that the most efficient connection is through UDP. TCP connections are anyway included in order to fight UDP-port blocking/capping (we are aware that some ISPs do that) but could cause a slight delay and, under some rare circumstances, issues with Voice over IP (technically, it\'s the old and widely debated issue about potential problems of TCP over TCP and TCP over UDP).

About the latency, since you say that you get \"high pings\" only sometimes, we suspect that it\'s just a matter of some \"best effort\" issues with your ISP or the routing. These issues are normal in the Internet and we should not be upset about them (as long as they are reasonably rare), if we assume Net Neutrality as a good principle.

Commercial subscriptions will include various plans with minimum allocated bandwidth for any need.

Kind regards,

AirVPN admins

Thanks for your fast reply..

I tried using the UDP-Connection but found out that I somehow cannot connect to the OpenVPN servers using a proxy.

Is there a trick or does it not work with an http-proxy?

Bane326 wrote:

Thanks for your fast reply..

I tried using the UDP-Connection but found out that I somehow cannot connect to the OpenVPN servers using a proxy.

Is there a trick or does it not work with an http-proxy?

Http proxies must be used in TCP client mode (proto TCP) with OpenVPN client, not UDP. So AirVPN client should not offer you that invalid option. It will be fixed in the next release.

What\'s more, proxy authentication is not currently supported. This feature will be added in the next AirVPN client release too.

Kind regards

AirVPN admins