Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.190.167
Sign in to follow this  
ajp2k15

Wifi vs Ethernet

I just noticed that my Openvpn client speeds on my Win10 laptop is at least 50% higher using cable instead of Wifi. Is it just me or is that normal, if so why? Packet size? Duplex? Speedtest over wifi without vpn maxes out my 300Mbps line so nothing wrong with the wifi.

I'd be interested to hear your theories on this...

Thanks, yes I know ethernet is always better... except when you want to be mobile of course. I'm just wondering what the reason is for the big speed hit when using openvpn over wifi specifically, if it's just me and my config or if there are some technical reasons behind it.

(using Win10 b1803, Wifi is 802.11ac with 2x2 wifi-client)

I just noticed that my Openvpn client speeds on my Win10 laptop is at least 50% higher using cable instead of Wifi. Is it just me or is that normal, if so why? Packet size? Duplex? Speedtest over wifi without vpn maxes out my 300Mbps line so nothing wrong with the wifi.

It's known that on Windows the TAP adapter is problematic and with default settings will struggle to reach 300Mbps anyway. On top of that, as DarkSpace-Harbinger pointed out Wifi is never as stable and reliable as Ethernet. Wifi driver issues can play a huge role, too. On GNU/Linux, though, I reach almost the same speed over Wifi compared to Ethernet with OpenVPN.

It's known that on Windows the TAP adapter is problematic and with default settings will struggle to reach 300Mbps anyway. On top of that, as DarkSpace-Harbinger pointed out Wifi is never as stable and reliable as Ethernet. Wifi driver issues can play a huge role, too. On GNU/Linux, though, I reach almost the same speed over Wifi compared to Ethernet with OpenVPN.

Is there a modified/improved TAP driver I can install on my Windows computer in order to get better speeds?

I've tried different TAP drivers on my windows box and received very different results.  I don't know much about windows though, but I would look for the latest version and install that.  If that breaks too many things though, uninstall and maybe reinstall eddie if that comes with its own, or create a restore point and just go back.  It would be worth trying.