• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 inc

inc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:02 PM

Is there any plan to use Wireguard instead of Openvpn with Eddie in the future, it seems to be well thought of even Linus likes it and it may be in the kernel soon.

Linus wrote:

Btw, on an unrelated issue: I see that Jason actually made the pull request to have wireguard included in the kernel.

Can I just once again state my love for it and hope it gets merged soon? Maybe the code isn't perfect, but I've skimmed it, and compared to the horrors that are OpenVPN and IPSec, it's a work of art.

Linus isn't the only one incredibly fond of WireGuard but Greg Kroah-Hartman had also thrown his weight behind it previously, among other notable upstream kernel developers.

taken from here https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linus-Likes-WireGuard

#2 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7692 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

Hello!

From https://www.wireguard.com

WireGuard is not yet complete. You should not rely on this code. It has not undergone proper degrees of security auditing and the protocol is still subject to change. We're working toward a stable 1.0 release, but that time has not yet come. There are experimental snapshots tagged with "0.0.YYYYMMDD", but these should not be considered real releases and they may contain security vulnerabilities

When the time will come, Wireguard may be a great addition. Currently it's obvious that we can't put into production Wireguard based services, given the above. When the protocol will no more be subject to changes, a stable release is available, a proper security audit has been completed and the presence of critical security vulnerabilities will be reasonably ruled out, then we'll consider it seriously.

Kind regards

#3 redbull666

redbull666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

Perhaps a beta service could be setup for testing? azirevpn has this for example, would help the adoption process.

#4 tranquivox69

tranquivox69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:22 PM

Quite interested in this for the much faster handshake process.

#5 go558a83nk

go558a83nk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 1683 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

It's only a few seconds for me anyway.  :think:

#6 corrado

corrado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

It's only a few seconds for me anyway.  :think:

Yeah Airvpn is rather fast, but to be honest, it's still much much slower than WireGuard in that regard.

#7 redbull666

redbull666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:00 AM

It's not just the speed, WireGuard seems to be of very high quality as well, while OpenVPN is somewhat of a beast.