• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Petanquer

Petanquer

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:09 AM

Holy shit it works hahaha! Im on Merope and watching Real Genius as I type!! YAAAAAAAS! No more having to switch to my TV app to watch it haha.

Can you give a step by step of what you did?

#22 go558a83nk

go558a83nk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:17 AM

I tried to set up the DNS using a primary DNS 10.4.0.1 and secondary DNS 0.0.0.0 and adapting the instructions on this site:

https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how-to-set-up-smart-dns-on-android-tv-box/

My WIFI still worked but when I tried to connect to an AirVPN server, the openVPN client could not resolve the host. This web site might be on the right track, but I am just not using the right numbers.

Change your openvpn configs to use resolved hosts, not domain name.  Thus, no need to resolve the host to connect to VPN server.  If you can just edit your config all you have to do is change from domain name to IP address.

Pick your favorite server and resolve it.   For example, nslookup ran.airservers.org = 199.249.230.26

Thanks for the advice, but when I try to edit the config in the OpenVPN Client, I don't see anything that remotely looks to me what you are suggesting. I've also tried to edit the config in a text editor, and still don't see an option like that. For now if I want to watch Netflix USA on the TV I will have to hook up my laptop using a HDMI cable. Not convenient, but it works. 

If you can't do it by just editing the config, then generate a new config using advanced mode and select "resolved hosts in .ovpn file" to the right side of the screen under the Advanced header.

#23 Petanquer

Petanquer

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:08 AM

I tried to set up the DNS using a primary DNS 10.4.0.1 and secondary DNS 0.0.0.0 and adapting the instructions on this site:

https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how-to-set-up-smart-dns-on-android-tv-box/

My WIFI still worked but when I tried to connect to an AirVPN server, the openVPN client could not resolve the host. This web site might be on the right track, but I am just not using the right numbers.

Change your openvpn configs to use resolved hosts, not domain name.  Thus, no need to resolve the host to connect to VPN server.  If you can just edit your config all you have to do is change from domain name to IP address.

Pick your favorite server and resolve it.   For example, nslookup ran.airservers.org = 199.249.230.26

Thanks for the advice, but when I try to edit the config in the OpenVPN Client, I don't see anything that remotely looks to me what you are suggesting. I've also tried to edit the config in a text editor, and still don't see an option like that. For now if I want to watch Netflix USA on the TV I will have to hook up my laptop using a HDMI cable. Not convenient, but it works. 

If you can't do it by just editing the config, then generate a new config using advanced mode and select "resolved hosts in .ovpn file" to the right side of the screen under the Advanced header.

Thanks again for trying to help. I did what you suggested, but Netflix still would not play any content.

#24 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7801 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thanks again for trying to help. I did what you suggested, but Netflix still would not play any content.

Hello!

Please do not hesitate to report the server names from which you can't access Netflix USA.

IMPORTANT: you can't access Netflix USA from UK servers. We left them outside the geo-routing because they could access Netflix UK, at least up to a week ago.

Kind regards

#25 Petanquer

Petanquer

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:46 PM

Hello!

Please do not hesitate to report the server names from which you can't access Netflix USA.

IMPORTANT: you can't access Netflix USA from UK servers. We left them outside the geo-routing because they could access Netflix UK, at least up to a week ago.

Kind regards

Hello,

I have tried servers in the USA, Canada and the Netherlands. I have tried specific servers in Toronto, Los Angeles and Chicago, but I didn't write down which ones I used. I have used 4 config files which would randomly pick a server and they are for Canada, USA, Netherlands and America. On all of them I could access Netflix USA and see the selection of titles available, but Netflix would not allow me to play any of the content because I was using an unblocker or proxy. This is occurring only on my Android TV boxes. My Android tablets and Windows PCs are working well with Netflix USA on any server that I have tried so far.

Hope this helps.

#26 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7801 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

but Netflix would not allow me to play any of the content because I was using an unblocker or proxy. This is occurring only on my Android TV boxes. My Android tablets and Windows PCs are working well with Netflix USA on any server that I have tried so far.

Hope this helps.

Hello!

We're glad to know that you can access Netflix from all of the Air servers you tested. From your description the Android TV box, or the Netflix application running in it, might send out DNS queries to specific DNS servers, instead of ours. Unfortunately you are just a user on an Android system (not an administrator), so you lack the proper privileges to force packets redirection to specific DNS IP addresses.

We wonder how we can help this situation from our side, we will think about it seriously.

Kind regards

• Flx likes this

#27 go558a83nk

go558a83nk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

but Netflix would not allow me to play any of the content because I was using an unblocker or proxy. This is occurring only on my Android TV boxes. My Android tablets and Windows PCs are working well with Netflix USA on any server that I have tried so far.

Hope this helps.

Hello!

We're glad to know that you can access Netflix from all of the Air servers you tested. From your description the Android TV box, or the Netflix application running in it, might send out DNS queries to specific DNS servers, instead of ours. Unfortunately you are just a user on an Android system (not an administrator), so you lack the proper privileges to force packets redirection to specific DNS IP addresses.

We wonder how we can help this situation from our side, we will think about it seriously.

Kind regards

The odd thing is I use a Shield TV (android tv) and I don't have a problem.  I do have a problem with my roku not working.  I did create rules in pfsense to redirect DNS queries to other IP to 10.4.0.1 but still no luck.  The Shield TV and Apple TV worked even without creating rules to redirect queries to 10.4.0.1.  I don't know how the roku is figuring it out.  But, perhaps the other android tv box of Petanquer is doing the same thing or similar.

P.S. I setup another VPN provider just for the Roku with all the same firewall rules I'd tried for AirVPN and Netflix *did work*.  However they do it, the roku can't suss it out.

#28 Petanquer

Petanquer

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

Hello!

Kind regards

Thank you for your consideration. For your info the boxes I have tried it on are ABOX Max, M8S-II and MyGica, all running Android 5.1. From what go558a83nk says, the Roku is similarly affected.

Cheers

#29 Kenwell

Kenwell

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:52 PM

It is still working!.. but imho yesterday Netflix was much faster, like 35-40mbps, meaning today i'm left with open windows in the overview of the Netflix movies/series wall on my Android TV. Today Netflix speed is decreased to approx 5-10mbps with long loading times and sometimes some error codes (2 of 4 severs not conected) No other services on the network, just to test and nothing changed on my side since yesterday. Maybe just more ppl go thru the same tunnel at the same time today? My setup is simple with an aes-ni capable router and with your new VPN gen2 file, pushing your DNS to the whole household with a 180mpbs in average speeds in normal conditions. which is great ! In my test i used Gianfar, Alcyone, Mirach. Tv is on static dhcp, gateway 192.168.1.1 DNS (first) 192.168.1.1 Second DNS is 0.0.0.0 (tried 10.4.0.1. and 10.5.0.1) didnt help or stalled the whole connection. Offcourse I can detach the Android tv from going thru the tunnel. Maybe i just have to wait when it will be more stable and common and hopefully with better speeds. For now great effort and keep up with your fantastic work!

#30 Flx

Flx

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:03 AM

I have tried servers in the USA, Canada and the Netherlands. I have tried specific servers in Toronto, Los Angeles and Chicago, but I didn't write down which ones I used. I have used 4 config files which would randomly pick a server and they are for Canada, USA, Netherlands and America. On all of them I could access Netflix USA and see the selection of titles available, but Netflix would not allow me to play any of the content because I was using an unblocker or proxy.

Netflix would not play any...Same here. Any specific server from Canada works.....anyone?

My Android tablets and Windows PCs are working well with Netflix USA on any server that I have tried so far.

On tablets and Iphone it works fine.

Anyone got it working for Tomato-router-wise-->>On Samsung TV Hub it does not want to play any content(stuck on Loading)?

#31 cantnoonedomelikejesus

cantnoonedomelikejesus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

Interestingly... I'm connected to Nashira (UK server) and it is showing me Netflix US content and streaming fine. I thought the UK servers were untouched?

Edit: working on MacOS (Viscosity) and iOS (OpenVPN). 

#32 Flx11

Flx11

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

Aludra Alwaid Mintaka(not working for me) Grumium thus far.

#33 sadiepacker

sadiepacker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

I have no knowledge of the in's and outs of how a VPN works but what i did randomly figure out is that if i had my browser set to delete all history and cookies when i close the browser.  as long as i have my Airvpn connected before i open the browser and start up Netflix, apart from "secure connection failed" that comes up a few times, it seems to work every time on UK servers - not tried any other country.

#34 r4ndom2

r4ndom2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:46 AM

Hope this helps.

Hello!

Kind regards

The odd thing is I use a Shield TV (android tv) and I don't have a problem.  I do have a problem with my roku not working.  I did create rules in pfsense to redirect DNS queries to other IP to 10.4.0.1 but still no luck.  The Shield TV and Apple TV worked even without creating rules to redirect queries to 10.4.0.1.  I don't know how the roku is figuring it out.  But, perhaps the other android tv box of Petanquer is doing the same thing or similar.

P.S. I setup another VPN provider just for the Roku with all the same firewall rules I'd tried for AirVPN and Netflix *did work*.  However they do it, the roku can't suss it out.

Bumping this one.. Anyone got any new ideas on how some of the boxes discovers  a "proxy", but some don't? I have the same issue with my PS3 as you have on some Android TV devices, that is roku devices and others?.

In my setup I have set the PS3 in a separate VLAN behind a PFsense box with a dedicated AirVPN client GW. All traffic from the mentioned VLAN is routed through the VPN. I have also set 10.4.0.1 as the DNS for every client in the VLAN. Running netflix from the VLAN through a browser or my android phone works just fine, but the PS3 Netflix app do not work. I have even tried to factory reset the PS3 in case of caching issues. A packet capture from the PS3 when trying to start any movie looks like this:

DNS/UDP/53 <--> 10.4.0.1 (resolving a lot different netflix domains)

DNS/UDP/53 <--> 8.8.8.8 (also resolving a lot of different netflix domains) I have tried the app both allowing and blocking this traffic, same result.

TCP/443 <--> several hosts

TCP/80 <--> several hosts

I am now running out of ideas on how the PS3 does this magic...

#35 lordlukan

lordlukan

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:51 PM

I can browse netflix sites but I'm unable to play any content on any server I try. DNS is set to 10.4.0.1. Proxy detected every time. Using chrome on Linux / OS X.

#36 Petanquer

Petanquer

• Members2
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:01 PM

RE: lordlukan "I can browse netflix sites but I'm unable to play any content on any server I try. DNS is set to 10.4.0.1. Proxy detected every time. Using chrome on Linux / OS X."

That's interesting. It works fine for me on Windows 10 with Chrome, and on my Android tablets with the Netflix app, but now we know that it doesn't work with some versions of Android (ie: on TV boxes) or on Linux / OS X.  Hopefully a solution can be found. Until then I will continue to hook my laptop up to the TV with an HDMI cable if I want to watch something that is not available on Canadian Netflix.

#37 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7801 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:38 AM

RE: lordlukan "I can browse netflix sites but I'm unable to play any content on any server I try. DNS is set to 10.4.0.1. Proxy detected every time. Using chrome on Linux / OS X."

That's interesting. It works fine for me on Windows 10 with Chrome, and on my Android tablets with the Netflix app, but now we know that it doesn't work with some versions of Android (ie: on TV boxes) or on Linux / OS X.  Hopefully a solution can be found. Until then I will continue to hook my laptop up to the TV with an HDMI cable if I want to watch something that is not available on Canadian Netflix.

Hello!

A plausible explanation is that some Netflix app forces DNS queries to some specific DNS, bypassing system settings, or some TV box has hard coded DNS (like it happened with Roku3 which incredibly had hard coded Google DNS). The queries are tunneled in the VPN anyway, but they are forwarded to the final DNS server. In this way you don't use the geo-routing system and you can't access Netflix.

A possible solution is using a DD-WRT / Merlin / Tomato / pfSense etc. router to connect to the VPN and pre-route any DNS query (after you made sure to not connect to our servers on port 53) to the VPN DNS. For example:

iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.4.0.1
iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.4.0.1

Kind regards

#38 Air4141841

Air4141841

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:53 AM

this is my experience exactly.

i have a pfsense router.   i have plugged in static DNS to the TV and in the router to assign to my TV.

i still get blocked content.     

if i boot up a laptop, my mac or other laptop using Eddie client it works just fine.   i've tried to look at the configuration within Eddie and matched to my openvpn custom configuration.  and it still does not work.

i don't think this is Airvpn's issue.     i feel that the Android OS is the issue.   i also had this issue on a LG tv. WEBOS.    and that was why i bought a Sony.  but have the same issue... SIGH

#39 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7801 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:05 PM

i have a pfsense router.   i have plugged in static DNS to the TV and in the router to assign to my TV.

Yes, a possible explanation and a solution to the issue (tested as working on TV/media players with hard coded Google DNS) are suggested in the previous message. Can you test and report back? The suggested pre-routing can potentially solve the issue even if it's the Netflix application the one forcing DNS queries to some specific DNS server.

Kind regards

#40 go558a83nk

go558a83nk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:50 PM

this is my experience exactly.

if i boot up a laptop, my mac or other laptop using Eddie client it works just fine.   i've tried to look at the configuration within Eddie and matched to my openvpn custom configuration.  and it still does not work.

i don't think this is Airvpn's issue.     i feel that the Android OS is the issue.   i also had this issue on a LG tv. WEBOS.    and that was why i bought a Sony.  but have the same issue... SIGH

d0fbe07b5fcac10a2067526bce817e1f.png

Air Staff is saying to make a rule like this where for you redirect any DNS query that's not to the DNS server you want to the DNS server you want.  See /firewall_nat.php