Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.139.122
Sign in to follow this  
gr33anm1shg3y3aracn0ph0b27

Airvpn over Tor connection connecting as Tor over Airvpn

I run OSX 10.12.6
I'm using Eddie 2.15.2
I'm using the latest TBB

I've had no problem running Tor over Airvpn with a tor exit node prior to the Internet.

I'm trying to run Airvpn over Tor with the Airvpn server prior to the internet.

I've looked at https://airvpn.org/tor, as well as every other document that seemed related to my issue.

I start the tor browser first, then the Eddie client.  I'm able to make a connection from Eddie to tor with the test button within the Eddie client.  I'm also able to connect to an airvpn server.

However, when I test what my ip address is from the tor browser, it returns the tor exit node address, not the airvpn server address.  And when I try another browser, which is not proxied through tor, the ip address returned is that of the airvpn server address.

So essentially what I'm seeing is Tor over Airvpn, not Airvpn over Tor.  The only difference between connecting using the "tor" proxy in Eddie preferences instead of "none" is that I no longer can directly access .onion sites.

Any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

AirvpnLog.txt

AirvpnSystemReport.txt

However, when I test what my ip address is from the tor browser, it returns the tor exit node address, not the airvpn server address.  And when I try another browser, which is not proxied through tor, the ip address returned is that of the airvpn server address.

Hello!

That's just fine. When OpenVPN is connected to Tor, and you use another application which is configured to connect to Tor, that application traffic will be tunneled over Tor only. You can see the reason by looking at the routing table and the gateways of your system. On a qualitative level, let's say that an application configured to connect to Tor proxy locally will connect to Tor proxy locally, it has no way to route the traffic on the tun interface to reach the VPN gateway which can be reached only over OpenVPN over Tor (OpenVPN connects to Tor proxy locally as well).

In https://airvpn.org/tor you can see the above depicted in the first picture.

If you need Tor over OpenVPN, connect OpenVPN directly to a VPN server, then use Tor. All the applications configured to connect to Tor will have their traffic tunneled over Tor over OpenVPN.

Kind regards

Hmm...  I'm think I made myself unclear by bringing up the other browser.

"If you need Tor over OpenVPN, connect OpenVPN directly to a VPN server, then use Tor. All the applications configured to connect to Tor will have their traffic tunneled over Tor over OpenVPN."  This is what I was trying to convey with this statement: "I've had no problem running Tor over Airvpn with a tor exit node prior to the Internet."

I don't need Tor over OpenVPN, I need the opposite.  Looking at the airvpn.org/tor page, the bottom half of the first picture is what I'm trying to achieve.  It seems to me, if that scenario is obtained, then the airvpn server ip address will be the one seen by other websites.  One of the advantages listed is: "Additional privacy layer: our VPN server will not see your real IP address but the IP of the Tor exit node.

I set Tor as my connection mode.  I test the connection within eddie and it connects.  But after I connect to an airvpn server, the tor exit node ip is seen by the world instead of the airvpn server ip.  It seems to me if the advantage listed above is true, other websites should see the vpn server ip address.  Not the tor exit node ip address.

Am I misunderstanding the bottom half of the "Using AirVPN with Tor" scenario?

I don't need Tor over OpenVPN, I need the opposite.  Looking at the airvpn.org/tor page, the bottom half of the first picture is what I'm trying to achieve.  It seems to me, if that scenario is obtained, then the airvpn server ip address will be the one seen by other websites.  One of the advantages listed is: "Additional privacy layer: our VPN server will not see your real IP address but the IP of the Tor exit node.

Hello!

Yes, with "OpenVPN over Tor" that's expected, for the reasons mentioned in our previous post in this thread (to put it in simpler terms, "that's how routing works"), when you generate traffic from an application (different than OpenVPN) configured to connect to Tor, while traffic of all applications NOT configured to connect to Tor will be tunneled over OpenVPN over Tor.

For an additional test to check whether your configuration is working properly, connect OpenVPN over Tor with Eddie, run a browser NOT configured to connect to Tor and browse ipleak.net . Verify whether the IP address is the exit-IP address of the AirVPN server your device is connected to.

Kind regards

First of all, thank you for trying to assist me.

For the moment, I'm going to  limit the scope of the discussion to tor use, as using TBB is 98% of my intended purpose for utilizing a vpn.

I guess I have to start at the beginning to ensure my understanding of the foundation is correct.  When I look at the bottom half of the first diagram, it implies to me the following TBB connection:  my computer > tor nodes > vpn server > Internet.

To me this implies that the vpn server will interface with the internet, not the tor exit nodes.  Is that scenario achievable?

I guess I have to start at the beginning to ensure my understanding of the foundation is correct.  When I look at the bottom half of the first diagram, it implies to me the following TBB connection:  my computer > tor nodes > vpn server > Internet.

Hello!

The bottom half of the diagram you mention summarizes the route of the traffic of an application NOT configured to connect to Tor, in a machine where OpenVN is connected to our servers over Tor.

Tor Browser connects to Tor by default, so its traffic route (again in a machine with OpenVPN connected over Tor to some Air VPN server) is summarized in the higher half of the diagram.

If you configure Tor Browser to NOT connect to Tor, then its traffic will be summarized in the lower half of the diagram.

To me this implies that the vpn server will interface with the internet, not the tor exit nodes.  Is that scenario achievable?

Yes, with any application NOT configured to connect to Tor.

Kind regards