This has been happening to me for months ever since Comcast increased their speed, my AirVPN speed has also been reduced by about 60% since Comcast increased their speed. I get these errors..
OpenVPN > AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #113589 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
In the log they seem to occur when Updating systems & servers data, they don't cause a disconnect/reconnect but they cause my speed to go to zero and I lose internet access for 15 seconds to 15 minutes. Eddie currently shows I have been connected for 90 hours and 24 minutes but I lost internet access 3 times yesterday that I know of.
I started another thread here a while back and the only guesses were my modem was causing the problem since it started when Comcast increased their speed. I checked the specs on my modem and it's fully capable of handling my speed, although a newer modem with more channels couldn't hurt. Through my modem or modem->router I get about 140Mbps on a 100Mbps plan and on AirVPN I've been getting 30-50Mbps. On my 75Mbps plan before Comcast increased their speed I consistently got 90Mbps on my modem, modem->router and modem->router->VPN.
I read somewhere here that someone was able to stop the packet errors by getting a new ASUS router so I just got a new ASUS AC1900 (RT-AC68U) and it made no difference. I just updated Eddie to 2.16.3 a couple days ago and it made no difference.
I haven't seen a real answer to this problem here or in other forums I've posted in about this problem.
The ONLY thing I can think of trying is upgrading my modem.
I've been reluctant to post about this again until I upgrade all my hardware and eliminate everything on my end. If I upgrade my modem and still have the problem then it has to be something Comcast did.
When I first started getting packet errors (different ones then the errors this thread is about) and my speed went to hell after Comcast increased their speed I tried uTorrent and I still got errors. I tried switching my reserved ports, switching protocols, continuously lowering my download speed cap in Vuze and nothing helped. The only thing that that seemed to help for a few days was uninstalling and reinstalling Eddie.
I'm using Windows 7 and Vuze and for years I had no problem with AirVPN. I used to try multiple servers and run speed tests just to get a few extra Mbps now I don't even try because unless my speed is to slow to load the sites I visit it's so erratic there's no point in hunting down a faster server.
At this point I'm out of options but some days AirVPN is almost unusable because my speed is so slow and I lose internet access ever 5-10 minutes.
Again I have to stress that before Comcast increased their speed i had ZERO problems, amazing speed and I changed NOTHING on my end so I can only conclude it's something Comcast did or is doing.